FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are there any Europe Sailors here......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

There’s absolutely no way that the top Finn sailor could get to, and maintain 85kg (and still be competing for an Olympic slot).   Never mind that Giles is more like 202cm, and that 190cm would have you classed as ‘smallish’ on the circuit, even if you managed to achieve 85kg, it’d be virtually impossible to maintain for a 4-year cycle.
I never said Giles wasn't 200. His bio says 198cm.  
Originally posted by mozzy

up to 200cm like Giles it becomes a little more difficult. Sailing will build muscle, especially upper body. So you wouldn't be able to practice too much.  

Postma 189, Gašpić 189, Žbogar 189, Hřgh-Christensen 186... The average height as stated by the class of the Olympians is 187... 

I mean, surely your claim is silly, as many top Finn sailors have maintained a weight below 85kg for years and won in the laser. 

To claim that Olympic place you’ve got to be beating all the Laser Squad Sailors (who for some reason are almost all sub 185cm

Laser sailors are almost all sub 185? The Norwegian guy looks super tall. The German (Bauhl?) looks like he's 190. I know Nick Thompson isn't that tall, but I thought Hanson and Lorenzo are around 185.   

If anyone really thinks a Finn sailor can just shed 20kgs and still have the fitness and strength to be up with those that are the ‘perfect’ size for the boat, then they probably don’t realise the small gains required to get the wins at all the events you have to perform at, to be selected, let alone win at the Olympics. 
20 kg? Isn't it more like 10-15kg?  

Well, yes, I do. Because I myself have changed weight over a similar range at an amateur level, if it was my job I could certainly do more. But also because it happens in sports which are far more physically demanding than sailing. 

Can all Finn sailors get down to the correct weight and retain an competitive training schedule? No. 
Is it good for the sport to have all male athletes to get below 85kg which will in turn see many adopt more extreme diets? No.
By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 3:43pm
I tend to agree with Mozzy, athletes will spend 3-4 years trying to gain correct weight for the Laser and it would probably take a similar length of time for the smaller finn sailor to get down to weight. Does this mean I agree with the removal of the Finn? No
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 8:20pm
Ainslie and Percy seemed to manage both quite well. 
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by A2Z

Only seemed to transition in one direction though.

Is 85kg even optimum weight for a laser, or just the absolute max to be quick in some conditions?
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by GarethT

Originally posted by A2Z

Only seemed to transition in one direction though.

Is 85kg even optimum weight for a laser, or just the absolute max to be quick in some conditions?

Perhaps because they got old  Wink
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 8:30pm
Tom Slingsby, Nicholas Heiner are both laser world champions and have raced the finn
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 8:33pm
Probably all raced an optimist too
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 9:14pm
I'm the same height as Giles Scott (198cm) and through a lot of cycling managed to get to 85kg. I'm 50 though, so maybe easier to lose muscle-mass than someone a lot younger.

sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 19 at 10:22pm
Seems to me that the dinghy world is divided into 2: the lightweights who think they are disadvantaged by it and don’t recognise that you can hike hard when it’s breezey but it wouldn’t be quick to amputate when it’s light. And those who know the truth.
bustinben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 19 at 9:30am
But what if you're sailing in a class where everyone hikes hard?  Wink

The truth is actually this (physics):

You want to be as light and tall as possible.

When hiking you want maximum righting moment. When not hiking you want to be as light as possible.

Righting moment  = weight * height

So taller and lighter is always better, up to the point where you're such a freak that you can't actually move around the boat any more.

The reason why the physique of top sailors isn't completely homogeneous like in basketball or high jump is because there are so many other factors at play too that don't relate to physique and that can often have more influence and are generally done imperfectly.

As sailors in general get closer to perfection in all the other areas, the physique range which is competitive shrinks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>