FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick release harnesses mandatory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 1:41pm
A mental exercise that's sometimes appropriate is "how would this sound in a tabloid newspaper". Who would fancy being the person reported in the Daily Rag as saying at an inquest "we thought this was a bad safety rule so we changed things so it didn't apply"?

Edited by JimC - 01 Sep 21 at 1:41pm
Mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 11:54am
Hitting marks is in RS events SIs because it's a specific rule change for a specific event. Class rules aren't permitted to change rule 31 anyways. 

The 700s and 800s have already included an increase in harness weight for our nationals in the SIs as it's a quick resolution (see DSQs at Olympics). The aim is to do a more permanent and encompassing change within the class rules at the AGM. This is under rule 50 which can be changed in SIs or Class rules, so it's a matter of determining where is the best place to do so. 

Scheduled for the AGM is also the discussion on the ISO for harnesses. At the moment there don't seem to be any available, so the class will then probably change it in class rules. But another option would be give the market another year to respond, and if they don't, change it in SIs for class events. Obviously the downside to this would be lots of people sailing with illegal harnesses outside the circuit plus the admin f remembers to put in the change to each set of SIs. But, who would really protest, and if people feel it is an issue they can always ask their club to make the change in club racing SIs. 

Edited by Mozzy - 01 Sep 21 at 12:05pm
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Neptune

†Itís also open for a class to leave the choice completely up to the sailor, you donít have to mandate one or the other.

Sorry didn't realise that, so yes that would solve the issue at opens etc, but for club sailing I assume normal racing rules would apply?

Like how RS's are allowed to hit marks at their own events, but if I sail my RS in a club handicap race I'm not allowed to hit them
RS600 1001
Neptune View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 9:37am
I didnít disagree with Jim, but I think a few classes may not switch until the technology becomes reliable as thankfully entrapment is very rare.  Itís also open for a class to leave the choice completely up to the sailor, you donít have to mandate one or the other.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 9:34am
Not sure on this one Mark, accidental release is similar in effect to a broken trapeze line. Unfortunately, from experience, I know this results in landing in the water behind the boat as it carries on briefly before capsizing, no harm done.

Jim's point is, if a class opts out of this rule and an entrapment death does occur, the blame would inevitably fall on the class for taking that decision

Edited by Jamie600 - 01 Sep 21 at 9:35am
RS600 1001
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 7:30am
Depends upon whether you think the unintended release is perhaps a bigger potential risk than entrapment (which in the classes I have sailed is very rare).
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 4:30am
Gosh, I think a class or club would have to be very very brave to have an exemption for alleged safety equipment, no matter how useless it appeared to be. A Nelsonian eye might be safer.
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 21 at 12:47am
You realise class rules can add an exemption to this change; I think many classes are discussing this and perhaps one for your 600 AGM soon Jamie.

Edited by Neptune - 01 Sep 21 at 12:47am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 21 at 5:48pm
I have an old Gill harness with a QR hook, will try releasing it under tension sometime. It's probably not ISO *@$%!^ complaint but I doubt they'll ask where I occasionally race the Spice. That will go to the crew now as, last year, I found a used (but barely) Allen Keyball system harness cheap for me, slightly disappointed it falls out of the socket when I stand up (I wouldn't have binned the DK if my harness had one) but otherwise it seems pretty fool proof and certainly minimises things to get snagged.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 21 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by NickA

S&M seems to suit something with straps and hooks on it).

Yes agreed!

Thanks - yes I did wonder if the manufacturers were just hoping this would all go away

I was hoping to treat myself to a comfier harness but not at the risk of it being redundant in 16 months. The boy needs one as well...
RS600 1001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>