FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star Sailors League December 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
mozzy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 5:59pm
So... Percy wasn't there becuase he's going to be heading up the Malta AC challenge! rumours rumours
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 6:00pm
Wheel moved on no longer round
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 6:23pm
top interview with percy... he's got a good view on the relevance of the star
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 6:43pm
Same relevancy has other old designs, people like the look of them and the way they sail.
Mozzy,
Have you found out about Percy, checked all sailing forums and google can't find anything ?
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 6:53pm
Just what the commentators said. He had to fly out for discussion about Malta. There were rumours previously that the Sardinia challenge (which turn in to Malta Challenge) would involve ex Artemis personnel. 

Also, loads of people were asking on the SSL chat where he was and there was never a satisfactory response, which made it sound as if something was happening behind the scenes. 

Then in his interview with Shirley he referred to himself as an AC team manager (and didn't seem past tense)

Edited by mozzy - 07 Dec 18 at 6:54pm
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by rich96

None

Its a fantastic boat and been highly developed over the years.

The tiny section mast needs to be carefully looked after in breeze though !

A proper thoroughbred

None? As others have said, far from it.

Massively over-canvassed for a breeze upwind, well under-canvassed downwind in light airs (and that's from world champ Paul Elvstrom);
Extremely low boom;
Needs a very heavy crew (and as I understand it, one who is not too tall despite being heavy);
Even with careful looking after, has been susceptible to mast breakage for 80 years; when I was looking at getting one I was told to expect to break two or three masts during the learning process, and I was used to singlehanding an ancient half tonner which had a similar style of rig; 
Slams in chop;
Did, and may still, break booms downwind;
Lots of expensive gear for unremarkable speed.
Unusual rig that makes it hard to apply techniques to other classes (how many non spinnaker keelboats are there?)
Initially designed not as a thoroughbred, but as one of the many cheap little local club one designs that existed around Long Island Sound.

That list isn't actually meant to denigrate the boat, but if people are going to apply the same level of criticism that is applied to the Laser (as in the question you responded to) to other boats then they will almost all cop criticism.

Edited by Chris 249 - 07 Dec 18 at 10:01pm
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 8:58pm
I'm a bit embarrassed that even after owning a boat with runners, I didn't realise how often the Star guys played theirs. It looks as if the skippers are actually locking off the mainsails and playing the runners gust by gust - is that right? 

I'm loving the SSL; so nice to see some televised racing that has boats that 90X% of sailors can relate to, and it must be the hottest collection of talent afloat.

Edited by Chris 249 - 07 Dec 18 at 9:00pm
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 9:29pm
Missed an appointment today watching start of first race today and debating wether black flag would be used, then got interested once they started  LOL
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 9:37pm
Think they play runners and checks loads.
Yes proper boats being sailed on proper courses by decent sailors. Decent long shots rather than chopping 3seconds here 3 seconds there.

To be honest in that location with that quality camerawork and coverage, most olympic classes would be as interesting, even youth classes. Oppies and toppers.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 18 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

To be honest in that location with that quality camerawork and coverage, most olympic classes would be as interesting, even youth classes. Oppies and toppers.

I think that may be the significant point. I'm enjoying watching it too.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>