FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Star Sailors League December 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 5:47pm
Theirs one thing for certain this will become an arms race, the French aren't going to lose this medal if they have to break the Bank, completely outside Olympic ethos.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 7:37pm
The irony of a Brit complaining about other nations spending money to win medals wouldn’t be lost on the French.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 8:01pm
Would the French get irony
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

Whilst there may not be specific lightweight single-handed options for females (and v lightweight males) there ARE options within Olympic Sailing for these body types (49er, FX, 470, Nacra).
There is no possibility of competitive Olympic Sailing for 90Kg+ any more.

I've not campaigned to keep the Finn, instead fought for some form of representation for the big athletes.
Plenty of us jumped up and down in protest when Windsurfing got binned. Plenty of us have campaigned for Gender Parity.

And good on you and all the other individual Finn sailors who campaigned for gender and weight parity - it was good and far-sighted of you to do so. The class as a whole, though, appears to have been silent on the issue for many decades and only taken it up recently as a matter of expediency.

As I noted earlier, I reckon the Finn SHOULD still be in the Games, to be fair to the big guys - but by the same token we should be trying to ensure that there are similar options for all body types in major events.

It's a strange thing, but sports seem to be almost totally split on the issue of whether to cater for different body types. On the one hand you get events like weight lifting that always seem to opt for weight classifications, on the other hand you get sports like basketball where at top level most people need not apply no matter how talented and dedicated they are. Perhaps we need WS to come up with a philosophy and a plan about ensuring fairness to sailors of all body types rather than the current mash-up.

By the way as a disclaimer, I'm medium/light and short and happy with it as it's great for a jack of all trades like me. It also means that I often sail classes in which I'm on the ends of the weight range (ie I'm heavy for a Radial but light for a standard Laser) so I can get some idea of what it feels like to be a heavy!
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 8:55pm
Why couldn’t a 90kg+ sailor be competing the offshore event?
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Chris 249

Perhaps we need WS to come up with a philosophy and a plan about ensuring fairness to sailors of all body types rather than the current mash-up.]

I think this is near the mark. WS need to be clear about whether they want to split the sport by body weight, by craft type (yacht, skiff, foiler, cat etc), by format (fleet, team, match race etc) or some other categorisation. There has been no consistency on this over the years, but it is at the heart of how Olympic events (and consequently classes) should be selected.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 18 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Theirs one thing for certain this will become an arms race, the French aren't going to lose this medal if they have to break the Bank, completely outside Olympic ethos.

Confused...... that's odd coming from a nation than (like mine) has a huge Olympic budget.

While many people are forecasting a French victory in the offshore boat, maybe their efforts will be as successful as they were in windsurfers (where they missed out on medals at a time when they dominated the Div 2/Lechner class), in the early days of the 470 (a class they created and dominated numerically, but where they couldn't get a medal for eons) and as successful as the Aussies were in the early days of the 49ers. We had one-eyed sailing journalists who were proclaiming that the arrival of the skiff in the Games meant that we could count on dominating the class for at least one or two Games - in fact we didn't get any medal for three Olympics and the medals went to those ancient skiff strongholds of Finland, Ukraine, Spain and Denmark!
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 18 at 11:03pm
Should be a pretty decent commentary line up... often makes or breaks these things

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/212635/Americas-Cup-and-Olympic-medallists-to-commentate
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 18 at 6:13pm
Two good races so far after losing yesterday. 

For those who don't go to the homepage...

YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 18 at 6:17pm
What’s happened to Iain Percy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>