FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A new class of dinghy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 7:32pm
It's worth reading the precise of the judgement, the royalties had been paid and refused then paid into escrow until the proper rights holder was established. My first thoughts were that BK had been very badly done by but reading more suggests it was mostly of his own making. However I have no inside information so could be way off beam.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 7:24pm
I don't believe the Torch was ever a real thing.

The rights and wrongs of the court case were never very clear to me, but the way it panned out seemed more like who could game the US court system better than anything resembling justice.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The Kirby Torch was Bruce Kirby's failed attempt to reclaim the Laser design he sold for 2.6 million back in 2008. I don't know what his train of thought was but the court gave him pretty short shrift when they threw the case out in 2016.

Which always seemed wrong to me, given (IIR) he only took that step because he'd not received his design royalties from LPE for several years.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by RossV

What about the Kirby Torch?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Kirby Torch functionally the almost 50 year old Laser design? Unquestionably the Laser has greatly influenced modern sailing and pioneered the SMOD business model but is the past also the future?

The Kirby Torch was Bruce Kirby's failed attempt to reclaim the Laser design he sold for 2.6 million back in 2008. I don't know what his train of thought was but the court gave him pretty short shrift when they threw the case out in 2016. 

I apologise for not adding a smilie at the end of my post  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
RossV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RossV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 11:34am
Originally posted by 423zero

Unstayed Masts would make a simpler build, cheaper too, no need for stays and associated ironwork.
I tend to go for unstayed Masts due to the fact we have indoor storage.
Having spent much of the (southern) winter repairing mast step tube failures, hull failures under said mast step tubes and related breakages in my club's training fleet, I can't agree with you relating to construction let alone repair.

My club provides affordable (read cheap) sailing lessons to a middle bracket community in Sydney. The core of the training fleet are Spirals. They are very similar to Lasers...

Spiral dinghy on Wikipedia

To reduce the maintenance burden we are now looking at building a FRP sheathed wooden design to compliment our similarly sheathed Firebugs. Far easier to patch and paint than fading polyester mouldings. The consensus seems to be forming behind a 12 ft version of Keith Callaghan's Hadron H1.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 11:22am

Yes what about the Kirby Torch what happened to it/them?

If ever a brilliant opportunity exists to re launch the modern Laser the way folk would be keener to have it, there it is. More vertical rudder pintles, better foils, better rig, carbon, carbon and more carbon, laminate sail, round the damned stern quarter, shorten the boom a tad and marginally raise the sail aspect ratio..

Why even I might consider one.

Edited by iGRF - 08 Oct 18 at 11:23am
RossV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RossV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 11:19am

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Kirby Torch functionally the almost 50 year old Laser design? Unquestionably the Laser has greatly influenced modern sailing and pioneered the SMOD business model but is the past also the future?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 10:28am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 18 at 6:07am
Unstayed Masts would make a simpler build, cheaper too, no need for stays and associated ironwork.
I tend to go for unstayed Masts due to the fact we have indoor storage.
RossV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RossV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 18 at 6:07pm
423Zero - With relatively small sails unique colours within the class make it far easier to see what is going on at a distance and thus watching is more enjoyable. It certainly helps with the Firebugs in my club.

I note your preference for unstayed rigs but my experience with the Firebugs (with their sails on halyards and sometimes reefed) is that, on windy days, they are easier to rig and manoeuvre on their trolleys than boats like Optis which have their sails up all the time. It also eliminates failures within the mast step tube which occur in Lasers and Spirals. That is a tricky repair.

Many dinghy class in Sydney used to decorate their sails with huge symbols to aid identification. I surmise that this started as an aid to gambling on the 18s before the war but spread to smaller classes like the Vaucluse Juniors (AKA "VJs"). Gambling aside, it makes the sport more appealing to outsiders. I choose to have a couple of dark blue panels at the foot of my sail and my cataracts have got no worse since I made that decision. I attribute this to the greatly reduced reflection of sunlight into my eyes. It may not be a problem in the UK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>