FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Olympic events.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 66>
Author
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Originally posted by mozzy

There was an RS oppy...
wasthere not a Fireball?

They supplied all sorts back in tha day but Id say the RS machine started with the 400 & 600 in 1994. 
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 11:22pm
28 inc 49er and RS Oppi
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 12:17am
That's still probably a very high hit rate by any standards, though.

I sometimes wonder whether World Sailing shouldn't just hand over the running of the sport to RS, J/Boats and maybe about five other players. They are the ones who are proving to be the real experts in actually keeping the industry alive and new boats flowing into the sport, in an era where huge amounts of publicity is going to players who promise far more than they produce.
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 7:08am
Helped to lift an 'Aero'off the roof of a car a couple of months ago, four of us in total, can't say it appeared to be 30 kg light ?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 7:32am
Maybe it was full of water? Done similar with 2 people no problem.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 8:56am
Traditional classes are weighed and measured when new (and again if repairs/modifications are made), to show that they conform to the rules, and a measurement certificate issued. SMODs rely on the manufacturer making them all the same with a reasonable QC and, while they have a published/claimed weight, it may or may not reflect the weight of a particular boat. The manufacturers don't specify how that weight was arrived at and can change specification at will (L2000 and Topper Spice being examples, the former grew by 30+ kilos when it was realised that the published weight was wildly optimistic and the latter was weighed in the factory with no fittings.... and was still routinely heavier than the claimed 'hull with fittings' weight). The only way to know what your own boat actually weighs is to weigh it yourself.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 9:00am
There are many SMOD owners who would be very disappointed if they weighed their pride and joy. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 9:11am
I was when I weighed my Spice, it was around 30kg over the quoted weight and it was discovering that that led, eventually, to an enlightening conversation with a boat builder.

The Blaze, OTOH, while also a little overweight (3-4kg) is a polyester boat that had been left in the open unused for 3+ years so I consider that entirely reasonable.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 14 Nov 18 at 9:12am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Old Timer

There are many SMOD owners who would be very disappointed if they weighed their pride and joy. 
Why? They're not paying for a light boat. They're paying for one design. 

They'd be disappointed if they weighed 10 boat their own was heavier. 

On the other hand, in a measurement class, if I asked a builder to get me a hull down to weight I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't. 
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 9:45am
On the other hand, there are SMODs that have a minimum weight and check it, like the Tasars do. We were disappointed when we found out we were giving 10kg or more away, but the introduction of the minimum weight rule sorted it out.

Edited by Chris 249 - 14 Nov 18 at 9:46am
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 66>