FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tales from aFarr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 8:51am
Originally posted by 423zero

for a new boat you have had to do a lot of fettling, almost from the getgo, I would be disappointed in same position.

Aside from RS and Laser dinghy building in the UK is a cottage industry, I'd be amazed if a new boat came properly ready to race, there will always be something that needs fettling (and, indeed, that's half the fun). Under spec shackles are a bit dodgy mind you (though it has been said if it breaks it's not strong enough, if it doesn't it's too heavy.....)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 9:08am
I would have thought you would get a better more personal care from a small firm
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 9:25am
Tempting fate here, but I can't recall ever having had a shackle fail on me. Under spec will distort. Incorrect assembly will fail - split ring not in the clevis pin properly or pin not screwed in tight enough... They don't like offset loads very much so if the width is too great they can distort, too.
I'd be interested to learn where on the boat the failure occurred.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 9:53am
Originally posted by 423zero

I would have thought you would get a better more personal care from a small firm

TBH, you're probably right but boats, other than SMODs, usually have a fair bit of leeway for personalisation and I would expect a shake down period, the less established the class the more fettling would be required.

But, yes, I would expect better/more personal service from a small builder. 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 18 at 10:08pm
I was only talking to one of my work colleagues about what would happen in our business, we'd have had to replace the whole kit and caboodle by now, sale of goods act and all that, but as I said to him, it would seriously damage a small business in the dinghy sector and lets face it they are all sub standard when it comes to customer service, we just come to accept it as part and parcel of the game.
I'm enjoying the boat for what it is, a kit boat sold probably a bit expensively, but I'm stupid when it comes to my hobbies I've got the best part of fifteen grand rotting in the nettles down the lake, another seven probably won't hurt me. My original plan for this was to maybe try selling them, but it really wouldn't pass scrutiny in my or any other retail world, just not up to it, then which boat is? Every boat I've ever bought had problems of one type or another.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 8:51pm
Bit of a better night tonight, bloody windy Force five plus, quite a big sea, boat bucking about, quite testing getting on the rail, quite scary at times, the run was interesting with near death rolls that I've not experienced with this boat before so took the run in two deep reaches.

Had one miss tack and capsize bloody jamming cleat again, and one hooking into the underside of the hook by mistake then it popped out leaving me hanging over the side hanging onto the wiggle stick, but recovered from that reasonably, all in all pleased I finished, and got a 5th probably my best result so far. Ironic for a man not given to strong winds in dinghies, normally I wouldn't have bothered to go out.. really knackered though, totally not fit enough, but feel shagged but satisfied, it really flew at times tonight..

Edited by iGRF - 21 Jun 18 at 8:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 9:04pm
Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 9:05pm
well done, glad it came together.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 18 at 3:34pm
I'm having to have a bit of a lie down after today, wind was a bit holey, but it was warm and force 3-4, lovely conditions. Once again I screwed the start by arriving a bit early so had to foot off down the line but once underway got off into clean air and wired. The wiring is coming together now, and I only had two issues, one miss tack (harness back got caught under the boom)into irons, and one miss hook (hooked in under the hook plate instead of the hook again) and fell in to windward which dropped me back to the next boat which was a Blaze so had a good race with him, and managed to get back passed him upwind.
It was a fabulous day and a fabulous race, best race yet, 5th on corrected in the biggest fleet we've had all year. which would have been better if I'd not made those three mistakes, so I'm pleased as punch it's all finally coming together.

If I ever get a clean start and these conditions again and don't do anything stupid I can see the day when I get that elusive bullet.

Edited by iGRF - 08 Jul 18 at 3:38pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 18 at 4:02pm
Well done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>