FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
whacko! View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whacko! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 18 at 5:45pm
whacko! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote whacko! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 18 at 5:48pm
"only a couple of solos chose to go out" 

....... and I understand only one returned with a serviceable mast!

Well done for going out; the Fireballs debated it long and hard and then even longer still until we realised we were out of time and were going to miss the start anyway.

mozzy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 18 at 10:00am
Yeah, think there was a bent mast after bumping it on the winner. 

It was perfect Fireball weather! Outside the main channels was pretty manageable. 

I actually think it would have been a cracking sail just after mid day. The squall blew through revealing perfect blue skies and 20 knots. Plus the tide changed which flattened the chop right off that was just in front of the club house. 

Photo from the race box anemometer just after we got ashore

Edited by mozzy - 26 Sep 18 at 1:11pm
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 18 at 9:46am
Something about this just seems quite satisfying to watch...

Charging down the harbour with just a few other boats out end up on a converging course with a solo. First we try to push it high, but eventually have to drop. 

Just after the drop the crew comes out and takes the main, just as a gust hits. The very small amount of leeward heel, and that the main is at the end of it's run and tight n the take up elastic means the rudder loads up and breaks free. Quite interesting to see the amount of fine spray it kicks up and how much the stern of the boat slides sideways. 

Luckily the main gets dropped pretty quick and with not kick screwing up into the breeze de-powers us... would have been a different result with kite up. 

YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 18 at 10:13am
This tips video is super simple, but massively effective. I think it would probably be pretty relevant to any boat which uses a lot of downhaul and has a mast track and bolt rope. 

Downhaul / Cunningham is critical in RS800s in anything over 15 knots and once above 20 knots you will want to be cranking it on as hard as you can. The difficulty is that the standard 2x2x2 (8:1) cascade struggles for range and friction in the system and bolt rope leaves many sailing downwind with tension still in the system, de-powering the main when max power is needed!

This is the third in a series covering the simple improvements and renovations we made to 1144 to make get her systems working smooth and reliable.

This video covers:
- Take- up elastics
- Getting 8:1 with maximum range 
- Release elastic

Comment if there is anything else you'd like to know!

YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 6:09am
Longer video, with a bit of split view this week. 

Trialling out new trapeze elastic routing for myself, with the aim to have the wires a little further out to make them easier to grab as I launch myself over the side!

Also trying a new gybing technique when I got out on the handle rather than hooking in to the hoop then taking up the slack as I got out. When the wires are low it seems a lot easier to grab for the handle rather than reach down to the hoop. The downside is you have to wait for the crew to hook you on. 

Going to try lower trapeze handles in the coming weeks and maybe a short distance between handle and hoop will make hooking on possible by myself even at the back of the rack.

Anyway, hope that's of some interest to you, well done if you made it all the way through to the end!

YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 8:01am
Would you be allowed to used a tack stick on the 800? it seems like that would allow you to grab the handle but still hook yourself on.
Reach For The Pies.
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 8:29am
Rules are a bit silent on trapeze wires... so that's possibly a no, but people do use different things. Are tacking sticks the tubes that at from handke to hoop?

Edited by mozzy - 13 Nov 18 at 8:32am
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 18 at 9:13am
Yes, we use them in Contenders to grab on and then hook on once on the side. It takes seconds off the tack, has the added advantage of the ring always being the same distance from the handle.
Reach For The Pies.
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 18 at 10:50am
Got out this Saturday, less breeze than we expected, but still solid twin wiring. 

Neap tides and wind with tide, so nice flat water and another 800 out to sail against. It was pretty much a perfect autumn sail until the last 5 minute when first I got body dragged and bruised my shins, then on the next mark rounding we over shot the channel mark and hit the bank... hard! 

Edited by mozzy - 19 Nov 18 at 11:03am
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>