FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 18 at 12:23am
Originally posted by mozzy

Mmm in that case, I'd be speaking to your doctor... but 220 minus your age will not give a max, or safe working limit, or anything at all useful to an individual in anyway. 

I'd run a mile from any trainer or even worse health professional who quoted a 'safe' or 'max' heart rate from a formula based on age... but i'd run slowly... just to be safe :)  

GP is on it and while I have a couple of issues I've been passed as pretty fit and healthy for my age (my EF of 65% is in the upper half of the normal range). I will probably refrain from doing anything too full on unless I have built up to it again (I used to race Raceboards and ride mountain bikes hard but have not done the same intensity exercise for a few years).

IIRC I read about the "220 minus your age" figure either on t'net (so it must be true Wink) or in a mountain bike mag or some such. I have never troubled 'personal trainers' with my time or my money..........

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 30 Dec 18 at 12:26am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 18 at 12:06am
It would be interesting to compare distance sailed and speed, upwind and down. 

The 14 is quite narrow for it's sail area, which I guess is why bigger crews are favoured. 

The 800 is over leveraged downwind up to the high teens. With it's fractional kite it easy to push to hard and stall the kite. It still pays to push hard for the VMG, but you have to be careful.

Do you reckon the I14 would be faster downwind with a smaller kite above a certain wind strength? Do you ever get that point where it's too powerful to get flow over it, jib backing? 
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by mozzy

Oli, HR was on me again, with no flu to blame the high HR on... sailing must be pretty decent work out after all! 
The 29er boys are pretty good, won their last circuit event comprehensively. 
The 800 and I14 seem to hold pretty similar speed downwind (give or take a knot or two), but you guys have such deep gybing angles it was insane! Were you crewing for the day?

Alex Knight was crewing me he entered by phone so it was a bit wrong.
Yes in that weather similar speeds but reckon 5 or more degrees deeper. In less wind we may be faster.
Deffo faster upwind by a knot or so once powered.
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 11:23pm
There is no safe heart rate. Max is just the highest you can get your heart to beat. You find out your max by working as hard as you can til you can't anymore, and that's the max. Your heart doesn't explode if it hits max. It's not some deadly limit.  You just get exhausted pretty quick and it drops. 

Stressing your heart over time will be bad for it... but so is not stressing it at all. If you have a condition, working your heart harder may put you in danger, a doctor may be able to advise... but if they give you a number using a 'max heart rate' guess scale then, I'd get a different doctor. I doubt many people who have heart attacks were at 'max' when it happens. 

Edited by mozzy - 29 Dec 18 at 11:33pm
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 10:57pm
You can't work it out You just get on with it.
NickM99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 10:46pm
Mozzy, so how have you worked out what is "safe" for you?  I am curious to know how  anybody can work out what is "safe" for them individually if they don't take advice from gym trainers etc?
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 9:53pm
Mmm in that case, I'd be speaking to your doctor... but 220 minus your age will not give a max, or safe working limit, or anything at all useful to an individual in anyway. 

I'd run a mile from any trainer or even worse health professional who quoted a 'safe' or 'max' heart rate from a formula based on age... but i'd run slowly... just to be safe :)  
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 9:46pm
By max BPM in this context I mean what is a safe max when exercising. I'm 65 and have a slight heart abnormality (which is been monitored and has not been getting worse over the last 10 years). I had an episode of AV a few years ago during a pretty intense light wind Raceboard which was pretty frightening so I'm a little conscious of not overdoing it these days. 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 9:35pm
Max heart rate should never be calculated, it should be measured as it is totally personal. It might generally decline with age, but anyone actual max won't align with that formula beyond chance. Mine has always been around 190-200 depending on how fatigued I am. I've never seen any correlation between my fitness and my max heart rate. 

Typically if you sign up to a (rubbish) gym they will do some max HR calculation from your age then set you training zones for cardio... but it's not worth the paper it's written on and could even be dangerous, yet you see this calculation often repeated. 

Resting heart rate varies. If I measure it first thing in the morning laying down it's usually in the high 30's (but I've measured 28!). Typically sat down middle of the day, relaxed it will be somewhere between 40 and 50.

I am surprised though how high it is sailing. I don't perceive it to be as hard as cycling. However, sailing you have a lot of other things to focus on beyond how hard you're working. 

I do know I can hold a pretty high HR for a long time... 182 for 2.5 hours in a road race 176 for 50 miles, TT effort - 171 for 100 miles. So the 164 average for 1hr15 in the pursuit, whilst higher than I thought, is still some way off a 'race' effort. More like a hard-ish training ride. 

Edited by mozzy - 29 Dec 18 at 9:44pm
YouTube Channel
RS800 1144

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 18 at 9:04pm
How do you calculate max BPM? I understand it should be 220 minus your age?

A resting heart rate of 40-50 is, indeed, impressive, top flight endurance athletes like Bradley Wiggins have a RHR of around 40 BPM (though Miguel Indurain reputedly measured at 28 BPM). For comparison, us ordinary mortals usually come in at between 60 and 70 BPM resting

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 29 Dec 18 at 9:04pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>