FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Setting a course around the cans.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 17 at 10:14pm
Marks should be set so you go round them towards the next one. Simple as, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe others can show me situations where that isn't true?

Why is forcing the fleet to go one way thought necessary? Are they all sheep who simply follow?

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 17 at 9:54pm
I sail on a small inland lake we usually use the fixed marks plus a couple of inflatables if required. A question arose today (I was asst. R.O.) regarding looping marks,. A leeward mark that would, if applying the shortest route to the next mark, suggest a starboard rounding was rounded to port (the idea being to force boats off to the right of the course). I said they this was a bad idea as 50% would not take notice of the course board and round to Starboard (I was wrong...... I blame 30 years racing windsurfers). I also thought, but was/am not sure if, that was prohibited in the RRS. Do the RRS prohibit looping marks? The only references I can find are that looping a finishing mark is prohibited as "boats finish by crossing the line from the direction of the last mark" (in the RRS) and that looping marks is discouraged (in the RYAs Race Management Guide).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Dec 17 at 10:02pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234