FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery for Tacktick Micro Compass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery for Tacktick Micro Compass
    Posted: 12 Aug 22 at 5:58pm
Thanks, I will leave it in the sun and cross my fingers
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 22 at 8:12am
Yes, that's the right battery. It's rated at 3v. I'd think that 2.8v should show sokme life.

But if you're solar panel is only producing 1.8v then you won't get it charged. However, that reading may depend on your multimeter input impedance - it's not going to produce a lot of current.

I'm sorry I can't really help much further - except I think the last time I put in a new battery I left on a window sill for a couple of days in the sun - perhaps try charging longer?
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 22 at 12:20pm
Thanks. The new battery is a ML2430.

The battery is currently 2.81v, is that enough to power the compass?

Edited by GybeFunny - 11 Aug 22 at 12:28pm
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 22 at 12:16pm
Do you have the battery model number? There are rechargeable and non rechargeable versions that look the same, apart from model code.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 22 at 11:24am
I got what I believe is the correct battery from someone on here years ago and got a friend who knows electronics to replace my battery, however when reassembled the battery doesnt seem to take charge. The compass turns on in sunlight and says 'bat 200' and I can leave it in the sun for hours and when I walk over to it and the solar panel is in the shade from my body it turns off. Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks

EDIT: I have taken it apart myself, when using a multimeter between the places where the battery is soldered on the bottom it reads 2.81volts. A multimeter on the points either side of the solar panel reads 0v when the solar panel is covered to 1.8v when uncovered on the window sill.

Edited by GybeFunny - 11 Aug 22 at 12:13pm
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 9:41pm
Well I was shocked when I looked at getting another one now both kids are using compasses in 29ers. Price had probably tripled since I bought my first before Raymarine took over the product. Still showing 180 hours after probably 17 years!

But I got one on Black Friday for £200 - that felt reasonable!
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 12:43pm
LOL LOL LOL A satnav would last 30 secs on a dinghy... if that! Economies of scale satnavs probably sell hundreds of thousands a year. Micro Compasses probably Thousands. 

I still stand by my comment of being reasonable. A 10 year old sanav would be useless now. There is nothing else I would use on a boat for 10 years. Sails £600 min -1 year, 2 if looked after well for championships. Wetsuits £150 - 2, maybe 3 years. Ropes - cheap but 2/3 years.

Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Fatboi

I think the Micro Compass is a great product and reasonably priced. 

Its not even half a satnav.

I can buy a satnav for £50.
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 22 at 10:14am
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Raymarine went above and beyond to solve problem I had with my Tacktick.  Thumbs Up

Having gone above and beyond to charge you £300-odd for a product with a problem in the first place?

Someone is salty!! 

I think the Micro Compass is a great product and reasonably priced. Mine is the old white one, so 10+ years old and still works...! How many other boat products have I got that old that I would still use... NONE.

Could pay even more for a Velocotek with less functionality! 
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 22 at 6:00pm
Not really, I bought mine used for well under half that... And I don't think damage sustained falling off a car at 40mph could possibly be consider a manufacturing defect  Cry

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 20 Jan 22 at 6:02pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>