FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irons.. WTF is the physics of it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Jamie600

Just a thought GRF with your windsurfing background, are you tacking standing up?

No, I'm grovelling on my knees then climbing up the sides. But you're point about the stern is very well taken, I do tend to be further back in the boat when it's windy, I don't want to be but it just ends up that way.
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I have a sticky top batten which I have decided is the root cause, although the rest of the sail is soft, if that batten doesn't transition, then into irons I go. Less kicker has also been suggested, even loosening it before going into the tack. My problem, in my boat enhancing wizardry, I've got the kicker centred to gain more purchases than the routing out to the sides offer, so that needs seeing to.

Try loosening the tension on the top batten - will make it pop easier from one tack to the other. In really light winds when you have virtually no kicker on, sometimes you need a bit on as you come out of a tack just to make the batten pop.
Steve B
RS300 411
D-Zero 11

RS300 page
D-Zero page
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Steve411

In really light winds when you have virtually no kicker on,]

Really? Are you not supposed to use kicker when it's light, doesn't it screw up your ability to point?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Steve411

In really light winds when you have virtually no kicker on,]

Really? Are you not supposed to use kicker when it's light, doesn't it screw up your ability to point?

Using the mainsheet to do the kickers job in the light is usually a better idea in most boats I have sailed.

Just need to make sure you get it right to pop the top battens.

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 4:04pm
If the batten still won't pop with very little tension, you can try a stiffer batten or more downhaul, but you may find the ugly truth is that the sail is past it.
Do you have any control over pre-bend?
EPS is all full length battens though?
So it shouldn't have so many issues, the lower battens should pop easily and that cascades up the sail?
It's never an issue on the 400, but I see the lower few battens look very far apart on the EPS?

I assume you are sailing with the racks a long way out, as you are light?
Maybe move them in, concentrate on learning to throw the boat through tacks, then progressively move the racks out?

Also it has a gnav? So you can raise the board. But does that actually help? That bow looks like it's going to dig in if the boat stops?, or given even a little chop it's not going to slide sidewise.

Where is all the drag coming from to stop the boat? Too much rudder? Rudder working against roll?
Wings in waves? that bow resisting the turning from the rudder?

In my 600 comedy, I was lucky enough to get a coaching day. That helped me immensely. Unfortunately it was a bit late and soon after that I had more two-up sailing and it got pushed out.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

EPS is all full length battens though?

I believe our esteemed friend has had a semi soft sail made for his.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 4:56pm
Jeffers has it, I've got a soft sail with just a full top batten - big mistake should have gone soft all the way up, but then leech stand out might have been a problem.

Raising the board tried that no help, even tried to wiggle it to angle it back a bit, I remember that bit as I saw it float away from a capsize. Wings, yes they are a bloody nuisance in waves, digging in if it rolls to far, which of course it does. I'm wondering also following something Jamie said about the stern, normally I spend as much effort as I can to keep it out of the water except when it's windy when i tend to be back there on the lable. I wonder if I should concentrate on trying to stay further forward and overcome the natural windsurfer tendency of moving back when it's windy.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 4:57pm
He said that thing about getting over and sitting down hard, but, if it doesn't even get right through, all sitting down hard is going to bring you is a horizon inversion and extreme dampness. 

When I was struggling with the Contender and irons one piece of advice was just to get straight out on the wire, generally the boat will heel scarily to windward and then bear away. Of course, when it doesn't ....
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 5:00pm
Another thing, it's always on the tack to my fakie side, so I need to keep practising and chuck myself out there I guess.
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 16 at 2:34pm

Another thing, it's always on the tack to my fakie side, so I need to keep practising and chuck myself out there I guess.

No, it's the coriolis effect....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>