FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have you ever snapped, or bent beyond repair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Have you ever snapped, or bent beyond repair, a mast?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [85.11%]
7 [14.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Noah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 9:32am
Banana-shaped the M7 on my Furball through trying to plough the English Channel with the mast tip. It doesn't work - you can't plant your veggies and it's a one-time tool :-(

Nick
D-Zero 316

maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 11:36am
My mates shroud cap on his proctor phantom went meaning the shroud wasn't doing quite as much as it should have done in a capsize and it bent at 9 degrees
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 11:36am
I snapped a fairly new windsurfer mast sailing in a straight line on flat water. It just went, most unexpectedly, not even at an obvious stress point.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 1:18pm
I snapped a 100% carbon pryde windsurf mast just above the clamp- similar flat water, not even that windy.  It was about 2 months old and probably used about 4 or 5 times, I'm not naive, manufacturing defects can occur, and this was clearly just a dodgy one.  

I took it back within warranty to the shop I bought it from, admittedly on discount, who promptly said it was sold as seen sale item as it was last seasons.   Needless to say, several stroppy emails later and I got a replacement FOC.  I sold it immediately, along with my other NP equipment, and then bought a full quiver of North sails and masts, from a different retailer naturally....
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 2:22pm
Looks like there has been quite a bit of carnage out there ...

Does the insurance typically pick up the bill or do people consider this just general ware & tear and buy new masts themselves?
JimC View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 2:32pm
A lot of times the insurance companies pick up the bill. There have been occasions where classes have become so notorious for breaking masts they've become difficult and expensive to insure.

Edited by JimC - 19 Nov 15 at 2:33pm
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by JimC

A lot of times the insurance companies pick up the bill. There have been occasions where classes have become so notorious for breaking masts they've become difficult and expensive to insure.

I would guess that 99 times out of 100 the insurance company picks up the bill assuming the rig was insured.

Given that the vast majority have broken rigs (which are not cheap) seems so surprise that insurance is not cheap ...

I wonder if the introduction of carbon rigs has increased or decreased failure rates ... ??

Also, as carbon can be repaired does that change the cost of ownership and premiums?
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 2:53pm
I'd claim for dinghy masts, but snapping windsurf ones is just wear and tear....  I tend buy windsurf masts with decent warranty periods these days.  
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 2:57pm
I thought I'd have a little dabble on this page to see how rig fragility seemed to come through on insurance:
https://www.noblemarine.co.uk/dinghyinsurance.php3

You can tinker with that page and it is quite interesting; clearly Noble group boats into categories.

If you get a simple quote for an 8k boat with no trailer, trolley or outboards you get the following:

Safe as houses 131 = Solo, Wayfarer
Safe but not bullet proof 150-188 = 29er, 420, Cadet, RS200, Laser II,
Middle of the road 265 -303 = D1, 470, Fireball, Musto Skiff, Moth, Merlin Rocket, RS400
High risk  409 = RS700, RS800, Finn, 505, 49er

Surprises? 

Moth; they seem to break their stuff all the time but I suspect they limit their claims.
Musto 100 less than a RS700 ... ??
Finn ... seems expensive for something that seems pretty robust ...
JimC View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 15 at 4:11pm
Worth remembering that one injury claim is worth an awful lot of mast replacements.

I don't know I'd want to state that the vast majority have broken masts, we could be looking at self selection. Certainly don't get that many at my club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>