FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser daggerboard grip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
radial179102 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote radial179102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser daggerboard grip
    Posted: 13 Nov 05 at 10:58am

I have just finished sanding and re-painting my daggerboard for my laser because it had a lot of scratches in it from being pulled up and down out of the case. I know in toppers it is legal to put like a stickyback foam (poligrip??) on the inside of the case to stop this from happening, it also limits the wobbly movement inside the case. Is this legal in lasers? and where do I get hold of some?

thanks

Villan is my Bitch ;)
Wave Rider View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 05 at 9:24pm

Not sure about the legalness of it but sailing solutions sell it.

And if its not legal, take out the bladders which hold the d.b. down and fill them with boiling water, they will restore shape and work lovely again!

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 05 at 9:29pm

It is against class rules to pack your centreboard case, you may have noticed no one has done it! If you were allowed to do it everyone would...

The joys of Laser sailing, no boat work  (I recently packed my rudder and centreboard on the 49er and it is not a lot of fun )

big man is back View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 9:45am
surly it might be something laser as a company might want to think about it is only a small change and as laser has proved that small changes can be made to make the boat more erganomic to the user ( see new kicker ) which brings me to the point of if the boat is now easier to use and you can put more kicker on with greater ease or just make finer adjustments that would make laser as a class go faster why havnt they changed the handicap??? i know that since some of the lasers at our club have done so they have gone faster than the ones that havent!
maybe theres more to life than being really really really really..........really good looking

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 10:29am

Putting in packing is not a small change! Good packing takes hours of work and would add a hell of a lot to the price of the boat. Most companies put in reasonable packing (works but is not great) and then the top sailors rip it out and put in their on. Once again in example you can spend a week in the boat shed sorting out a brand new 49er to get it race ready.

The new control lines make the Laser easier (and more fun) to sail but do not increase the speed. The top guys do not go any faster but those towards the back of the fleet will probably be able to get around the course quicker!

big man is back View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote big man is back Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 3:03pm
surly the guys at the back will be making a diffrence to the handicap as it is taken from sailors of all abilitys as an average
maybe theres more to life than being really really really really..........really good looking
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

Putting in packing is not a small change! Good packing takes hours of work and would add a hell of a lot to the price of the boat. Most companies put in reasonable packing (works but is not great) and then the top sailors rip it out and put in their on. Once again in example you can spend a week in the boat shed sorting out a brand new 49er to get it race ready.

The new control lines make the Laser easier (and more fun) to sail but do not increase the speed. The top guys do not go any faster but those towards the back of the fleet will probably be able to get around the course quicker!

How do you pack the case in the 49er?

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Wave Rider

Not sure about the legalness of it but sailing solutions sell it.

And if its not legal, take out the bladders which hold the d.b. down and fill them with boiling water, they will restore shape and work lovely again!

Its a while since I owned a laser but I'm fairly certain they don't have bladders! But there is a friction plate on the back of the centreboard slot.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 6:36pm

The Topper dinghy has bladders.

Packing does come down to personnal choice but options include evostick and progrip, sikalfex, webbing and expoxy. It really pays to have the foils tightly packed (an effort to get in and out) and perfectly aligned.

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 05 at 6:51pm

Yep heard of all of those so which do the 49er choose?

Rick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>