FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Stratos Sails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
provenjohn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote provenjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Stratos Sails
    Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 10:38am

Hi

Can anyone suggest where I can get a main & jib for a Stratos without paying Laser prices!   Even good S/H would be OK, only for the family to sail.

Thanks

carshalton fc View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 10:52am
u could try and get a sail maker to do them.  but the stratos's sails will last for around 5-6years.   the only thing that will wear out quickly is the spinniker. 
International 14 1503
provenjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote provenjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 11:32am

Hi

Thanks, yes did wonder about getting set made, any suggestions who by?

Sails on this Stratos are 4 years old & both main & jib are splitting!!

Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 11:34am

Id have a hunt around and see if you can find a class association website and ask on there. Chances are someone will have a second hand set lying around.

The other option would be to ask if anyone makes training sails. It is unlikely in a boat like the stratos but if they are available they will be cheeper (but probibly worse quality) than the laser items. For cruising with the family this will be fine but like carshalton's suggestion they will not be legal for racing with.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Isis

Id have a hunt around and see if you can find a class association website and ask on there. Chances are someone will have a second hand set lying around.

The other option would be to ask if anyone makes training sails. It is unlikely in a boat like the stratos but if they are available they will be cheeper (but probibly worse quality) than the laser items. For cruising with the family this will be fine but like carshalton's suggestion they will not be legal for racing with.

I would disagree with the training sails being worse quality. Any Laser 1 sailor will tell you a 'training' sail is made of far better cloth than an official class sail!

You pays your money you takes your choice......

And don't forget there are lots of lofts out there who can make laminate sails there days.....or even get a set made from Dacron if it is only for cruising!

Just my 2p.....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
yellowhammer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 1:33pm

is it a mylar main and dacron jib? if a mylar main then it might be worth repairing ... where's the split in the main, has the mast track caused it?

one of our members had a set of practice sails made by Dolphin Sails which were good value ... just send your originals as a pattern

http://www.dolphinsails.com/index.htm

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Isis

Is the Class used in Sailing Schools? I'm pretty sure my regular Sailmaker, Caws on the IOW, have in the past worked with sailing schools to produce sails with a far longer life than standard ones, and I believe cheaper too. So if there's a school that uses them finding out what they do could be useful. I would hesitate to associate the cheaper prce of "Training sails" with reduced quality, there are other factors in play, nmost notably that most SMOD manufacturers have high spares prices to subsidise new boat prices.
yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 4:58pm

Originally posted by JimC

there are other factors in play, nmost notably that most SMOD manufacturers have high spares prices to subsidise new boat prices.

not sure the new boat prices are subsidised ... i think it's their 'hype' generating marketing machine that you're paying for

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 5:57pm

the sailing school i work at uses dolphin sails in harwich for there stratos!

dolphin sails are very good we use them on the hurricane!

lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 05 at 6:19pm
Try Andrew from Red Eye Sails and tell him I sent you!  He does one-offs, just ask the Cherub fleet...
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>