FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Layering under/over Long John wetsuit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layering under/over Long John wetsuit
    Posted: 04 Jun 14 at 5:55pm
I've just bought a Gill long john wet suit and wondered what the best gear was to layer with it.

I'll revert back to a dry suit for really cold conditions, so just looking for stuff to keep me warm for Sping and Autumn sailing.

I already have a Gill Hydrophobe top and spray top, but is it worth considering a Speedskin top or a Thermal top as well or am I likely to be warm enough as is.
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 14 at 7:55pm
I wear Ronstan skiff longjohns all year round on my RS700.
In the summer I tend to wear a shortsleeve rash vest underneath, unless its really hot when I just dont bother. I might then wear another rashvest over the top if its a bit nippier. In the spring and autumn, I wear a Rooster hot-top underneath and a Musto Aquafleece on top.

Last year for the really hot summer days I acquired a very thin 3/4 length Neilpryde longjohn wetsuit.

In my Grad I tend to sail in my Queensport 1/2 length hikers with the hot top and aquafleece, but I only sail this boat from Easter to October.
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 8:47pm
Thanks Craiggo.

Funnily enough I considered the Ronstan Skiff Suit, but the lady I spoke to at Trident couldn't explain the reason for the cost difference to the Gill and I knew the Gill would fit.

Sounds as though both the Speedskin and the Thermal Top would be a good option except for the very coldest days.
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 9:44pm
I have a couple of Long John suits and generally just wear a long-sleeve rash top and a spray top.
If it's a bit chillier, then Rooster polypro top, bottom and socks.
I've just done a few days at Bala in that horrible rainy weather recently and that kit kept me ok all the time to be fair.

I've recently bought a Gill suit too and am amazed at how warm it is - despite it being fairly thin. My Magic Marine one is superb in pretty much all but the coldest of the late-Winter...otherwise it's pretty much longjohn/top/spraytop all the way  Smile

Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 14 at 11:02pm
Jaydub, what are you sailing? I'd be surprised if you'd need a speedskin under a long John unless it's really cold.

Edited by craiggo - 06 Jun 14 at 8:02am
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 10:35am
I use Under Armour base layers under a 3mm wetsuit in the winter, with a thin fleece (Musto) and a Musto aquafleece over the top.  And hot socks inside wetsuit boots.  It works in all but the coldest conditions.  The Under Armour base layers are just unbelievably warm.  
What could possibly go wrong?
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by craiggo

Jaydub, what are you sailing? I'd be surprised if you'd need a speedskin under a long John unless it's really cold.

We sail a 200.

The LJ replaces a glued and blind stitched short arm wetsuit.  The LJ is much thinner and flatlock stitched, so my initial concern is about whether I will be warm enough without more layering solution.  Fleaberto's comments seeem to allay that concern.

I'm relatively happy to be dissuaded from the speedskin.  I tried the Gul equivalent on last week and had a problem with sizing.  The large was too big for my shoulders; the medium too small for my waist!  The large took me about 10 seconds to get off; the medium more like 10 minutes.

It looks as though I just need to try it out first (and as it is a birthday present I'm told I have to wait!!).

In the meantime, I'd still appreciate further feedback based on experience.
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by jaydub

The large was too big for my shoulders; the medium too small for my waist!  The large took me about 10 seconds to get off; the medium more like 10 minutes.

Looks like you need to work on those shoulders or stay away from the pies

RS200 and returning to a Musto, ex 300
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Neptune

Looks like you need to work on those shoulders or stay away from the pies

That's a bit unfair on a man no longer in the first flush of youth - everything migrates southwards (although admittedly it's a bit less of an issue for blokes.) LOL
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 14 at 3:30pm
no age discrimination here!

I've found the rooster hot tops a pretty good under layer, bit warmer than a polypro top, especially if you sit around a bit between races.

Edited by Neptune - 06 Jun 14 at 3:31pm
RS200 and returning to a Musto, ex 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>