FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

modified one designs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 12:29pm
I did say 'event' in the example and then go on to talk about club level, sorry if I confused the issue Embarrassed,  was just trying to give some sort of example.
Going to stop now before I become "too bossy" Wink  
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 12:51pm
Well as my post suggested those who seem to get most indignant are those bending the rules for advantage. 

Rules are there to create a level playing field. 

They are as easy to follow as they are to bend ... 
Nipper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 2:45pm
Sounds like Hobbiteater and iGRF should get together to form the "Chip on my shoulder SC", where people can compete against each other in whatever modified boats they fancy, choosing their own PY nos, and only first over the line counts anyway. Oh, and there would be no rules of racing, no race officer, safety boat duty rota, park your boat anywhere you like dinghy park, as anyone who tries to introduce some control would be thrown out for being too bossy.
 Wonder how sucessful that would be......................

More seriously, sailing can be a bit bossy, and my experience,  bossiness  falls into two types:-

1) Those who take great delight in looking at other peoples boats and then noting that their black band is 1.0mm out of position and then telling the owner that they are out of class. Luckily the fact that most club sailing is now in SMOD's has tended to have eradicated this type.

2) Those that are a position with a little bit of power and refuse to take any advice, for example the  RO that has set a 6 lap course with no beat in it only a fetch, and refuses to alter it because "I have set it now". Unfortunately this type is still around, not only in sailing but in golf, tennis, football etc etc.

39 years of dinghy racing and still waiting to peak.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Nipper

Sounds like Hobbiteater and iGRF should get together to form the "Chip on my shoulder SC",

Chiponshoulder SC? Has a nice ring to it don't you think, of course there would be rules, but they would be sensible rules and their enforcement would be done in good grace, since there would be a big sign over the entrance.. No knob ends! however that would seriously reduce the membership if it were drawn on the incumbent dinghy population I fear.

But a sensible set of eligibility rules could be drawn up.

No Cats
No GP14's
No 300's
No MPS
No 49ers
No Lasers..

That's the knob ends taken care of
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 4:18pm
Still waiting to hear about these less bossy sports...

You can exclude anything that has blokes/girls with whistles and flags all the time for a start...

I suspect that other man's grass tends to apply with these things: its instructive, for instance, to read the Formula One regulations... I also just checked up the rules of Golf, and it seems they come in a 220 page pdf, whereas Rugby's playing rules are a mere 212 page pdf, with 20 or so more pdfs of regulations to match which look as if they could easily be as much again...

Edited by JimC - 30 May 14 at 4:30pm
hobbiteater View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote hobbiteater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 4:27pm
yes because multi billion pound F1 has lots of regulations we should have lots of regulations for sailing with our mates on a sunday
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 4:49pm
Any competitive sport has rules; the higher up you get the tighter the rules get ...

If you just want to mess about on the water there is nothing to stop you doing that ...
L192444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by Nipper

Sounds like Hobbiteater and iGRF should get together to form the "Chip on my shoulder SC",

Chiponshoulder SC? Has a nice ring to it don't you think, of course there would be rules, but they would be sensible rules and their enforcement would be done in good grace, since there would be a big sign over the entrance.. No knob ends! however that would seriously reduce the membership if it were drawn on the incumbent dinghy population I fear.

But a sensible set of eligibility rules could be drawn up.

No Windsurfers
No SUPers
No Kiteboarders 
No Face Fungus 
No Fashion Victims
No Midgets 

That's the knob ends taken care of

FTFY ...
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by JimC

Still waiting to hear about these less bossy sports...

You can exclude anything that has blokes/girls with whistles and flags all the time for a start...

I suspect that other man's grass tends to apply with these things: its instructive, for instance, to read the Formula One regulations... I also just checked up the rules of Golf, and it seems they come in a 220 page pdf, whereas Rugby's playing rules are a mere 212 page pdf, with 20 or so more pdfs of regulations to match which look as if they could easily be as much again...

There is a difference.  Golf and Rugby are games and as such the rules make up the game.  Sailing is a racing sport and as such different.

But i agree Jim 'Bossy' is a rubbish term!
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 14 at 6:03pm
I dunno- watch Jennifer Aniston in Horrible Bosses and think about that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>