FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R Speculation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 114>
Author
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 1:02pm
I thought it was meant to be lighter than 48kg all up? All aside, as i have been accused of being very biased.  I am not sure showing videos of people lifting a boat into the water is a good thing.  48kg is light for a boat (very light) but is still more than safe working weight limits especially the amount of windage on a dinghy.  I really don't think its a good idea as currently it makes people think that's how they should launch them.  Having recently suffered from a bad back i can confirm its not a nice experience and wouldn't want the 'where there is blame there is a claim culture creeping into the sport

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by gordon1277

One thing I have noticed is the distance between mast foot and centreboard seems to me to be unusual in that it is a long way and I wonder how this works. most boats are pretty close.

I'm pretty much a heretic when it comes to board position in that I'm not sure its as critical as is often believed, especially people on cruising boat forums. To my mind moving the board backwards and forwards simply changes the amount of sideload on the rudder as opposed to the centreboard, so ideal board position is related to size of foils and all sorts of stuff, and moving it back or forwards a few inches will have minimal impact on weather helm.

I suspect that an awful lot of it will come down to low speed handling, keeping the boat out of irons and all that. It may be that a large mast/board distance makes the boat easier to tack.

It would be interesting to see something from RS about all the things they changed during the development phase and why - something we could all learn from.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by laser193713

That sail looks starved to death upwind!! Is that why we haven't seen any upwind footage before?

I wouldn't overly worry about it... it's the 9m sail (the big one).  If recent history is repeated then most of the owners will gravitate towards the girlie rig within a couple of seasons.  Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 2:36pm
I havent sailed the show boats, but the prototype sailed fine upwind, very similar to a supernova even though its shorter. I am sure lots of things have changed since, but the 7 and 9 sails looked nice enough to me. The only area where the lack of weight may not be as positive would be using the momentum to shoot a mark that you have undercut Embarrassed

Picking up on the kneewrecker, the 8.4 RS 100 sail was always sweeter than the 10.2 IMHO.

Edited by SimonW99 - 07 May 14 at 2:36pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by SimonW99

Picking up on the kneewrecker, the 8.4 RS 100 sail was always sweeter than the 10.2 IMHO.

agreed 
MartinWadhams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MartinWadhams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 4:38pm
Everyone will want a trolley - everyone so far has ordered one. People are fascinated by the carrying thing, just because you can - but I've logged the health & Safety point! And of course you wouldn't want to do it in a breeze. I'd probably end up in orbit.

Give Yachting World's Matthew Sheahan a break on the trolley weight comment! In the heat of the videoing moment he probably confused himself: His RS400 trolley will weigh just over 30kg - a bit more than an Aero hull (rather than a fully rigged boat).

Very happy to run through the design evolution... when a bit more time allows.
Martin Wadhams
Managing Director
RS Racing
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by MartinWadhams

Everyone will want a trolley - everyone so far has ordered one. People are fascinated by the carrying thing, just because you can - but I've logged the health & Safety point! And of course you wouldn't want to do it in a breeze. I'd probably end up in orbit.

Give Yachting World's Matthew Sheahan a break on the trolley weight comment! In the heat of the videoing moment he probably confused himself: His RS400 trolley will weigh just over 30kg - a bit more than an Aero hull (rather than a fully rigged boat).

Very happy to run through the design evolution... when a bit more time allows.

Cheers Martin, My point was not in anyway a criticism of the boat, i am just really concerned at people getting into the habit of lifting it to the water unsupervised and getting caught by the wind.  Then there being a load of crap and law being dragged into our already rule strapped sport

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by MartinWadhams

and of course, given most of the YW readers are leadminers, then I guess in context it's unquestionably lighter than a dockside crane  Wink

Edited by kneewrecker - 07 May 14 at 7:01pm
ChrisB14 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisB14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 14 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

I wouldn't overly worry about it... it's the 9m sail (the big one).  If recent history is repeated then most of the owners will gravitate towards the girlie rig within a couple of seasons.  Wink

Such a shame, given that the 9m sail is what sets it apart from the crowd of single handers for the "half weights out there" ;-)
B14 GBR 748 Bullet B
In build: Farr 3.7 GBR 410 (both sail number and the current number of loose parts)
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 14 at 8:52am
This boat doesn't have the extra down wind sail, so it is far more likely people will want the big rig for the extra oomph when they bear away.

Mind, the Radial seems more popular than the full rig Laser by Nats attendance.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 114>