FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aigle Maramu boots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aigle Maramu boots
    Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 2:21pm
I have just discovered that aigle maramu's are no longer available. This is a pity, I have been using them for years and found them the best boots around in most situations and to use over drysuits particularly. I particularly liked them due to the lacing up the side - no zips to get stuck, and the fact that there is no neoprene to get smelly

Has anyone got any recommendations for something to take their place?
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 3:32pm
They still sell the Aigle Boras which are also very good at some chandlerys.
Roger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by kingdacks

They still sell the Aigle Boras which are also very good at some chandlerys.

They might well be good but they are different, it has to be said the Aigile Maramu really are/were the best boots for 90% of my sailing, I'm just going to have to make my current pair last, I've held a pair together with tape before now....

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 5:11pm
The bora boat has a very tight ankle cuff- the fit is definitely not the same.

Personally I've moved to Ronstan, but these are neoprene so no use to the OPs question.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 5:33pm
Just bite the bullet and switch to neoprene, then use Milton baby-bottle washing stuff regularly.  

Or do what I do, and leave the boots in the boat.  Oddly, they don't seem to smell left like that - we sail in brackish water, mind.

Agree it is a pity the Maramu's aren't available though.  They've been with us a long time, outlasting their look-alikes (remember Musto boots anyone?  I made the mistake of buying the last pair from a shop window - pre UV-rotted as it turned out a few months later)
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 5:54pm
I have some maramu size 44 little used, never got on with them thought they were like wellies wish I had got bora again.
If anyone wants to make me an offer I don't refuse then give me a shout.
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 6:37pm
On the subject of boots..... what ever happened to those adidas sailing boots that were going to be released.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 6:42pm
Regarding the addidas boots, they were selling them on various stands at the dinghy show. Andark I believe had some.

Edited by craiggo - 02 Apr 13 at 6:43pm
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 6:45pm
I put my neoprene boots thru the washing machine with the rest of my kit every week. Short wash, about half the normal quantity of detergent & extra rinsing. No smells here!
Nick
D-Zero 316

sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 8:33pm
fortunately the boots were not for me - I got some a couple of years ago, but my daughters feet finally seem to have stopped growing, so I was hoping to get her some maramus (daniel, I think 44's will be too big for her!).

The lack of availability means that we will now need to look at options  - which will no doubt take ages at the store, instead of 5 mins!

maybe aigle will let me have the moulds - I can set up a factory in my shed

Edited by sawman - 02 Apr 13 at 8:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>