FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kirby Sueing LPE, ILCA, ISAF, Rastegar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
Author
pondmonkey View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 9:22am
Phil Morrison is now working with RS for '2000 class' too... I wonder if this was financially driven?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 10:17am
The thing I find amazing is that no royalties have been paid for over 2 years and this is only just coming to a head.

Although there is a lot more going on behind the scenes not least of which was the sale and subsequent re-purchase of the rights by BKI (which I think coincided with the stopping of royalty payments but I could be wrong and that could be just a coincidence........)

It is relatively common knowledge that LPE has ceased to exist in all but name and we have all heard the stories about non-availability of parts etc.. and the appointment of new 'dealers' (Northampton Sailboats and Purple Marine) who seem to be able to get parts.

I have also heard that Harken are selling their version of the vang bottom assembly direct as opposed to through the builders due to the same issues of non-payment.

It is a mess, only the lawyers are ever going to profit but at the end of the day BKI have no choice.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 10:29am
Originally posted by jeffers

In the grand scheme of things will anyone care if the hulls made in the last 27 months are deemed not legal or counterfeit by a court in the US?

it would mean that the person who came 160th in an old laser at the worlds would now be the official world champ as the others would be disqualified??
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 10:30am
So, did anyone win Olympic gold?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:14am
Originally posted by olly_love

Originally posted by jeffers

In the grand scheme of things will anyone care if the hulls made in the last 27 months are deemed not legal or counterfeit by a court in the US?

it would mean that the person who came 160th in an old laser at the worlds would now be the official world champ as the others would be disqualified??

Worlds boats are supplied I believe. Europeans and nationals however is a different matter.

However how will you know?...the boat satisfies the class rules in that it has the correct plate so you could not call measurement unless you can 100% prove this is an affected boat (as this would be a measurement issue).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
gbr940 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbr940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:15am

clearly it doesn't satisfy the class rule if the royalty hasn't been paid!!

RS400 GBR1321
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Peaky

So, did anyone win Olympic gold?

Depends....they were supplied boats remember....all with ISAF plaques....and let us not forget the case is being heard in Conneticut USA...we are in the UK...I would be pretty sure that BKI would need to come to a UK court should he want to enforce stuff over her (I am no lawyer though)....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:25am
I don't think it matters that they were supplied by ISAF. If Kirby is right, then the boats raced at Weymouth were not class legal boats and should be DSQ.    
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:32am

I don't think it matters that they were supplied by ISAF. If Kirby is right, then the boats raced at Weymouth were not class legal boats and should be DSQ.    

Are we going to have to photoshop out all of the Laser logos from the Olympic pics? ARGH! LOL
Needs to sail more...
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:35am

The builder agreements were not officially terminated by BKI until 17th July 2012....by this point rhe Olympics boats were built.

Up to this point the ISAF were perfectly within their rights to be issuing hull plates as payments of royalties by the builders are not the ISAF or ILCA responsibility.

Any plates issued since then however are questionable and this is likely why they are included in the summons.

I say again the duristiction for this is limited to Conneticut, a US court will have no dursitiction in the UK (I believe). This is a civil matter too... as I said earlier this is probably more about recovering the trademarks so new builders can be appointed as I am pretty sure Bruce Kirby does not want to destroy the class or split it. 
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>