FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advertising via sail numbers? 55

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 67>
Author
maxibuddah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by maxibuddah

That way everyone, measurers and makers were working from the same set of instructions.

That's supposed to be covered by the ERS -Equipment Rules of Sailing - which covers the whole business of sail reinforcement in sufficient detail that my brain switched itself off when I attempted to read it.

However there's some evidence this train wreck may be related to differing readings of the ERS definitions. There are of course mechanisms to handle that, but it takes time. The general idea though, that the same interpretations are used by all classes, seems sound.

You've made the silly assumption that I've read the ers.....looks like something else I'm going to have to read then

I meant within the class itself, not between classes.
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Aching Knees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aching Knees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 5:09pm

I would not like to trust in house sail measurement, the other year North produced a batch of Phantom sails  that did not measure. If they had signed them off nobody who would have known

gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 5:12pm
On the ERS:

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Racing/RacingInformation/RaceOfficials/SeminarsConferences/Equipment%20Rules%20of%20Sailing.pdf
Gordon
Sheetpuller View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sheetpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

Originally posted by Steve Cockerill

Sadly, I think that the mere fact that we are talking about this has already earned the company the marketing that they were seeking. 

publicity... maybe, positive marketing... I fear not.

I personally will think twice about buying anything from sailboats.co.uk/speed or purple again, and that's not because of the initial 55 question, nor the fact that the sails weren't measured for a handicap charity pursuit race.

Some things that have been uncovered just don't add up and seem harsh to say the least.  I'm lucky to sail a class which doesn't restrict where I can buy my spares and gear, so I will exercise that consumer right and buy from other chandleries from now on.

Hopefully Richard Estaugh's historic customers know where to buy their sails if they want to honour his legacy, and continue to buy directly from the sailmakers themselves, rather than a third party with a margin on top... on that note, here's a photo of me sailing my really nice girly pink solo:

Hmm...I'd like to see you arguing with the Race Committee,  'No no, it certainly wasn't me that was over the line...'  Big smile
I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why I'm right.

Merlin Rocket 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'

Sprint 15 1342 - 'Still Crazy'

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 5:59pm
well oddly enough, one of my lasting memories of my time in Oppies was when one quite good sailor as over the line at the Nationals once.  He had the new Winner Mk8 optimist with a very similar pantone, the only one in the country at the time, hence no question who it was... inspiring seeing him sail it though that week.  The F7-8 gusts that blew through Mumbles was no trouble for him, I found it totally brutal, but it was inspiring, even if it did make front pages as Julie Burchill got all strident about 'Oppy Parents'.
The Phantom Menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 6:04pm
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm usually a passive user of this forum but as career long user & fan of Speed's I found my self signing up to get involved in the discussion.

I see it has been confirmed that sailboats.co.uk have taken control of the whole Speed Sails operation.  I'm actually pleased!  They have always been the best for 'bits' and as I rely on mail order for everything where I am, it's great to be able to get your hands on anything the next day.

I too have a very long over due sail purchase and was looking at the new membrane sail that Simon Hawkes has been using, he seems to be the quickest around at the moment.

They have obviously rubbed a few people up the wrong way with this whole 55 sail number episode but I guess when you are at the forefront of sail and class development you are always going to unsettle someone!   I've always found them a very a professional outfit so I'm sure they'll do the Speed Sails/ Richard Estaugh legacy proud and keep it leading the way like they should be.

Happy Sailing

J

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Aching Knees

I would not like to trust in house sail measurement, the other year North produced a batch of Phantom sails  that did not measure. If they had signed them off nobody who would have known

As I understand it, the system is supposed to include proper Quality controls including auditing- like proper manufacturing does... Internal certification should be able to work, it is not a radical idea.

-_
Al
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 9:44pm
ISO 9000 accreditation style?
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 10:42pm
please don't enforce that on sail lofts, they'll all be driven out of business by sheer boredom and box ticking
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 13 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by alstorer

Originally posted by Aching Knees

As I understand it, the system is supposed to include proper Quality controls including auditing- like proper manufacturing does... Internal certification should be able to work, it is not a radical idea.

he says, chewing down on his beef horse burger.

(i'm being facetious, I actually think its a good idea from the RYA) 

Edited by pondmonkey - 18 Feb 13 at 11:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 67>