FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advertising via sail numbers? 55

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
Author
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by batman

Fireball's are allowed to use moulded sails I believe- there are plenty of North 3DL sails around.

Indeed fireballs are allowed to use moulded sails, the laminate isn't the problem on the aeroweb its the construction a north 3dl sail which is moulded is completely different to an Tape drive sail (aeroweb, gensis, etc etc whatever sailmakers wish to call it) tape drive uses broad seam for shape then layers of tape over the top for the re-inforcement which builds a light sail, the reason the aeroweb was illegal in the merlin sails and after the last check of fireball rules i would say illegal there too is the rule on secondary re-inforcement as there is a set distance from the corners.

however the class may have allowed the change.

no performance increase apart from a lighter sail perhaps, and potentially not complaint with class rules
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
batman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the clairification Neal- I wasn't aware of that. Learn something every day!

Wouldn't it be ironic if another Speed sail 'illegally' won the Tiger Trophy/ SailJuice competion after the Merlin saga!!!
chrisg View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Puddlebuster

Originally posted by chrisg

Yes, it is Speed Sails advertising, and no the numbers are not the correct hull numbers. Hence my comment in the 420 rudder thread about it generally being the manufacturers taking the pi"55" while the individual competitors are generally as far as I know sticking to the rules at the winter handicap events.

For the Dash, several boats arrived at registration and handed in scratty bits of paper with hand scribbled notes asking to use sail number 55 and thinking no more of it at the time we accepted them. But then they all stood round discussing it and it became apparent to our registration team what had happened.

They caused more than a few headaches when we were trying to compile our results, as you can imagine trying to finish 90 odd boats and get times all in one go didn't always allow for classes to be read out so we only had sail numbers to go off in some instances. And with 5 or 6 boats of different class all with the same sail number it wasn't always apparent which was which. Pretty selfish really.

We mentioned it for the other events in the series and so they asked them to add the extra sail numbers to the 55's.

To be honest, had i not been told what they were trying to say I would never have put two and two together so not really sure how successful it is as advertising. To me it looks a bit like those people that squash numbers up on numberplates to make them look like they are trying to say a word but don't quite manage it.....

Chris I think you will find that emails are in existence for your event.  You will also see at the request of one race officer when contacted the correct sail number was used for the Phantom at Brass Monkey. For your event I carried a correctly numbered sail and also the means to change the number if required.  I was permitted to use it by your officals and not on a scrappy bit of paper!
The only event I have not made a formal request was at the Tiger and I was informed acceptance had been made through sailracer and the organisers for the races.  Sailracer allowed the boats to enter the entire series with those numbers and have been consulted by myself and others as to what they required us to do.  No change was required and they initially slope shoulders to the race commitees.
If you consider it selfish for me to turn out all over the country to every winter event at MY expense then you are very short sighted.

Unlike you not to check your facts?  Peoples view on the sail numbers are relevant which is why I made efforts to comply. As for the usual sl*g off by the uninformed on here I am not the least bit surprised.  Maybe they should be pleased that companies such as this and P and B etc are putting considerable sums into development and support which may in the end benefit other dinghy sailors.

Apologies, puddlebuster, I did get prior notice from, I think, the phantom (not at home so can't go back through my emails). If that is you then yours was the first and I think only request sent before the event, but again will check later. The others, as far as I know were received at registration. Had I known the reason for the change of numbers for all the boats, I'm sure we would have asked for something similar to the later events in the series, i.e to add a distinguishing number to the 55's. 

A sail number is obviously not performance enhancing so I don't have a particular issue with it, except for the sailing within class rules bit. If you did email me before the event then yes, you did everything by the book, so please don't think you are included in the "several boats arrived at registration and handed in scratty bits of paper" if you are the phantom sailor.

We had four boats at the Dash with number 55, another solo with 5, and a feva with 56. Obviously the feva is not down to speeds.

Once again I apologise, and no, I do not think you travelling to all of the events is at all selfish, my remark was aimed at Speeds who have asked you all to use the same number. Obviously at class events its fine as you would be the only one, but things get a little bit hectic on our committee boats to say the least and anything to make our lives easier, not harder is appreciated.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:07pm
I see a whole new business opportunity in personalised sail numbers!

On the subject of cheeky adevertising, I am suprised that one of the 800's always appears in results with its club as "sailingtogs.com".
Puddlebuster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Puddlebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:18pm
Thanks Chris
Sorry sounded sharper than intended. 
Yes ti s me, I forgot about the Solo.  As I said it would have been so much easier at the time of entering on the Sailracer site but it is unreasonable to think they would have seen this situation arise.
It was a great event at yours this year. Keep it going it really is appreciated.
Maybe I should ban all the Speed boats from the Beastie............that could serve several useful purposes! LOL Now just to keep things going , what about this Phantom handicap then??? Ouch
Simon 

chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:27pm
When is the Beastie? It's at Wimbleball isn't it? Guessing its not this Sunday.... We've rented a cottage near Exmoor next week and I think it's about 2 miles from Wimbleball. If by any chance it is I'd take the boat.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:35pm

Thanks Chris
Yes ti s me, I forgot about the Solo.  As I said it would have been so much easier at the time of entering on the Sailracer site but it is unreasonable to think they would have seen this situation arise.
It was a great event at yours this year. Keep it going it really is appreciated.
Maybe I should ban all the Speed boats from the Beastie............that could serve several useful purposes! LOL Now just to keep things going , what about this Phantom handicap then??? Ouch
Simon 

Totally agree about the speed boats, get rid of them at the beastie.. Might stand a chance then
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by chrisg

When is the Beastie? It's at Wimbleball isn't it? Guessing its not this Sunday.... We've rented a cottage near Exmoor next week and I think it's about 2 miles from Wimbleball. If by any chance it is I'd take the boat.

24th March. A nice cottage, it's not attached to a farmhouse by any chance?
Needs to sail more...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Puddlebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:52pm
Chris

The Beastie is the 24th March and of course you are welcome. A 300 should shake things up a bit.

PM me with your details. If you want to sail whilst you are down here I might even be able to find a Speed machine for you? I may not be about but sure we could find you something. Wink

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Puddlebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 13 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by maxibuddah

Thanks Chris
Simon 

Totally agree about the speed boats, get rid of them at the beastie.. Might stand a chance then

Yes. I can say that because the yoof wants to race in the Osprey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>