FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A lovely shade of lipstick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
pondmonkey View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 12 at 11:42am
erm, I was being facetious ... I've no idea how many rigs were/are sold, frankly I'm not in the slightest bit interested in seeing what the girls can do with the boy's boat with a girly rig on it.  Had a purpose built design been chosen, then I might well have found a sh*t to give; if only to have seen a really modern skiff in the Olympics rather than some old 49er dross.

Edited by pondmonkey - 20 Nov 12 at 11:45am
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 12 at 11:49am
The sailors liked the "old dross" rather more than the purpose built designs. Hard to argue with that.

And a really good 15 year old design is likely to be better than a mediocre new one. I don't know that I could look at the other boats that were on offer and say "that one would have been a better choice" for all that a downrigged 49er is not where my personal tastes and convictions lie.

There was one on offer that would have been much more to my personal taste when I was younger, but that's an entirely different thing. I *know* what I like isn't mass market.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 12 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by JimC

The sailors liked the "old dross" rather more than the purpose built designs. Hard to argue with that.

Very true- although some say there was an element of 'priming' going on there, and not to mention the fact that the questions of:

which boat is the one you would rather sail/race?

and

which boat offers the best package for the women's olympic skiff?

are two very different questions, and I understand, somewhat muddled through translation and interpretation in Santander.  Perosnally I think the former question was the one that needed asking, as by the time anyone's actually serious enough to step up from a 29er, then the cost of the boat will soon be less than relevant- especially with the spend cap that some of the builders were working toward.

But either way, I was just being a little naughty there, teasing TMOL a bit... the truth is I didn't enjoy watching any of the 49er sailing from Weymouth.  I thought it was dull as dishwater, it even made the RS:X look more tactical.  It was the stark contrast of Qingdao MR, which in it's own way was totally ridiculous, if at least entertaining and loaded with controversy.   Whether or not it has smaller sails with an all-girl crew won't change it's visual appeal for me for Rio, especially with a 7 knot average windspeed forecast, whereas as seeing something new might well have made me take a momentary glance, probably to only arrive at the same conclusion and switch off again. 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 12 at 12:54pm
Watch out, this thread might morph into the one about what boats youths would like to sail if we aren't careful... I've always held the view that sailing should stay as sailing at the Olympics, not as a TV EVENT, so finding the 49ers boring to watch (as I did, too) shouldn't be a reason for me to think that the FX was the wrong choice...

And just think, if the Solo had been designed 10 years earlier, when the Firefly was, it might have been chosen as the Olympic class in 1948, and it would have proved so popular that the Finn would never have been designed, and it would still be an Olympic class now... and the women would be using one with a smaller sail... there, a quick alternative universe scenario!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 12 at 5:05pm
...looking forward to an all-pink 49er at the next Olympics, shouldn't be an issue finding a snorkel and mask to suit, my daughter can lend hers if needs be

... will fit right in down the beach at Rio Wink

... unlike that old fashioned thing on the OP of this thread which appears to have been made in a plastic type material, rather than the traditional "tree", nice choice Jimbo, do hope the UV is kind to the colour over time
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 12 at 10:59pm
It could have been worse. It could have been a Solo and finished in Dog Cock Pink....oh wait a minute....

Seriously though James it looks OK. I hope you and yours enjoy it
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 12 at 11:48pm
hi martin. in the flesh, james's solo is more lilac than pink. LOL

so now  tell us all what colour your n12 called purple pants was..........? Wink
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 12 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by ex laser

hi martin. in the flesh, james's solo is more lilac than pink. LOLso now  tell us all what colour your n12 called purple pants was..........? Wink

erm I thinking the answer is probably in the name. Apparently old gits like us develop a natural affinity to the colour purple

Before the above respray it had faded to a pale almost lilac hue.
ex laser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 12 at 2:20am
i would be careful what you say. did you catch what james called the colour of his boat, before the post was removed? LOL

if not ask me on sunday at the club.( if its not flooded out before then!)

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 12 at 9:09am
I love that boat!  I think it was for sale recently (Kenilworth? about 3 grand?).  It's a fine shade of testicular torsion.

The only reason I know is that I was seriously tempted to see if I could acquire it for 'Rogue II'- add a kite, job done- it didn't even need a paint job.  But then sense kicked and I remembered we don't really have much handicap racing left and even less windward/leeward racing, so it would be a rather pointless exercise.

(Duncan- I deleted that post myself, I figured it would only get reported by some politically-correct nut job and I didn't think Mark needed the headache)

Edited by pondmonkey - 23 Nov 12 at 9:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>