'Keeping it close - 2013 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championship'
Sam Gilmour’s team from the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club have won the 2013 CenterPort International Youth Match Racing Championships in the closest final seen for many years on the Trans Tasman Youth Match Racing Circuit.
Racing could not have been closer against Ash Rooklyn’s team from the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia in the final series which went to an unprecedented sixth match.
The final got underway with Gilmour taking the first match with the boats no more than one length apart throughout the entire match. Then in match two the same scenario panned out but with Rooklyn sailing to victory. The race committee were unable to split the two teams at the finish line in match three. Match four Rooklyn won then match five Gilmour won so it all came down to a winner take all sixth match.
Here is how the event Twitter feed recorded the final match.
• Damage flags are down meaning teams are happy with their boats. Race Committee is about to roll into start sequence
• Both boats have entered standard dial up with no issues ... boats fold away and head behind committee boat for some circles
• Clear start with no penalties ... Gilmour at the pin but Rooklyn gains a slight advantage to windward off the line with better acceleration
• Tack for tack up the first beat with Rooklyn extending each time. Two thirds to top and Rooklyn leads by 5 lengths
• At the top mark the first time and Rooklyn has a five length lead. Nice hoist and looking comfortable.
• Gilmour closes in up the second beat gets to dip Rooklyn five lengths before top ... overlap at zone luff yankee from Gilmour ..green flag
• Luffing dual down wind .... overlap, overlap, overlap ... clear clear clear ... Gilmour in the lead
• Too close to call .... and the winner is ..........
• Sam Gilmour, Adam Nepri and Adam Middleton from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club have won the final match by 1 second and are the 2013 champs
Sam Gilmour, Adam Negri and Adam Middleton - 2013 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championship - RPNYC Events
After four days of racing the overall standings for the 2013 CentrePort International Youth Match Racing Championship are:
1st Sam Gilmour - Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club
2nd Ash Rooklyn - Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
3rd Sam Mackay - Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club
4th Basil Connor - Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club
5th Scotty Barnes - Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron
6th Milly Bennett - Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club
7th Hampus Applegren - Royal Swedish Yacht Club
8th Beren Beowulf - Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron
by RPNYC Events - 7:13 AM Sun 17 Feb 2013 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
If you want to send this story to a friend, please use link below
Based on your current download speed Sail-World has delivered large images (660 pixels long side.) If you would like to see only small images (300 pixels long side) click here . For medium sized images (500 pixels long side) click here . If you would prefer to see text only (without pictures) click here
Click for further information on
2013 Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club News
Related News Stories: