Vendee Globe skippers show support for disqualified Bernard Stamm
Based on your current download speed Sail-World has delivered images reduced in size (300 pixels long side).
If you would prefer to see medium sized images (500 pixel long side)
click here , or to view large images (660 pixel long side) click here.
If text only (without pictures) is your preference, click here
Some of the competing Vendee Globe skippers, without passing comment on the jury’s decision, have expressed their support for Bernard Stamm in the context of his request to reopen the case.
Nobody is calling into question the international jury’s neutrality and impartiality and the skippers have chosen to share their opinion on the matter as they believe that this should be taken into account in the final decision. Hereafter is the letter sent to the Presidents of the Jury, the Race Committee and the SAEM Vendée:
Around the World January 4, 2013,
• Mr Bernard Bonneau, Chairman of the Jury
• Mr Christophe Gaumont, Chairman of theRace Committee
• Mr Bruno Retailleau, Chairman of the SAEM Vendée,
Subject: Protest Race Committee against Cheminées Poujoulat - Cases n°4 and n° 5
We, skippers of the 2012-2013 Vendée Globe, ask that the judgment against Bernard Stamm is revised.
We believe that his disqualification is unfair and that he deserves the right to finish the race and to be ranked.
We ask for this revision on the basis of the following facts:
• Bernard moored his boat on his own;
• The Russian ship moored after Bernard did;
• This became a danger which did not exist when Bernard originally moored his boat;
• The series of facts that followed are consequences of this danger and they could not be foreseen;
• The conduct of the Russian crew was in conformity with Article 7.5 of the Notice of Race on rescue and assistance at sea;
• The conduct of the sailors, on both sides, was exemplary and it deserves to be appreciated not punished;
• Should Bernard have broken the rule, it would have been unwittingly, and we strongly believe that Bernard strictly conformed to the spirit of the rule;
• We consider that the situation Bernard has faced is a force majeure event.
We thank you for taking our views into account in your final decision.
Alex Thomson - Armel Le Cléac’h - Arnaud Boissières - Alessandro di Benedetto - Bertrand De Broc - Dominique Wavre - François Gabart - Javier Sanso - Jean le Cam - Jean-Pierre Dick - Kito de Pavant - Louis Burton - Marc Guillemot - Mike Golding - Samantha Davies - Tanguy De Lamotte
* Vincent Riou, Jérémie Beyou and Zbigniew Gutkowski could not be reached
Vendee Globe website
by IMOCA - 4:07 PM Sat 5 Jan 2013 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
If you want to send this story to a friend, please use link below
Based on your current download speed Sail-World has delivered large images (660 pixels long side.) If you would like to see only small images (300 pixels long side) click here . For medium sized images (500 pixels long side) click here . If you would prefer to see text only (without pictures) click here
Click for further information on
2012 Vendee Globe
Related News Stories:
Our Advertisers are committed to our sport, please support them!
This site and its contents are © Copyright TetraMedia Pty. Ltd and/or the original author, photographer etc. All Rights Reserved.
Photographs are copyright by law. If you wish to use or buy a photograph you must contact the photographer directly (there is a hyperlink in most cases to their website, or do a Google search.) with your request.
Please do not contact
as we cannot give permission for use of other photographer’s images.
Only if the photographer named on the image is Sail-world.com, Powerboat-world.com, Marinebusiness-world.com or NZBoating-World.com.
Ph: +61 2 8006 1873 fax: +61 2 8076 0459
or complete our
[ Banner Advertising Specification
[Bot Archive ]
Customised news feeds -Marine Industry companies, Clubs and Associations have their own customised version of our news feed on their website.