Event No. 9 on the 2004-’05 Swedish Match Tour ISAF Grade: 1
Total prize money: SEK 849,000 (approx. $113,400)
Title sponsor: Swedish Match AB
Event Web site: SwedishMatchCup.com
Boat: DS 37
Reigning Champion - Russell Coutts/NZL Coutts, sailing with Jes Gram-Hansen's Danish match-race crew, defeated Peter Gilmour and the Pizza-La Sailing Team, 3-1, to win his second Swedish Match Cup title (previously won in 2001).
Swedish Match Cup '04 Final Standings (July 5-11, 2004) 1. Russell Coutts/NZL, 16-3, $37,834.00 Crew Michael Arnhild, Jes Gram-Hansen, Christian Kamp, Rasmus Kostner
2. Peter Gilmour/AUS, Pizza-La Sailing Team, 11-8, $19,187.00 Crew Rod Dawson, Mike Mottl, Kazuhiko Sofuku, Yasuhiro Yaji
3. Magnus Holmberg/SWE, SeaLife Rangers, 11-7, $11,755.00 Crew Martin Krite, Lars Linger, Oskar Ljung, Stefan Rahm
4. Chris Law/GBR, The Outlaws, 9-7, $9,323.00 Crew Oscar Angervall, Daniel Björndahl, Anders Dahlsjö, Henrik Valderyd
5. Ed Baird/USA, SKF Racing, 10-2, $7,700.00 Crew Andy Horton, Pete van Nieuwenhyzen, Peter Poulsen, Jon Ziskind
6. Lars Nordbjerg/DEN 5-9, $6,756.00 Crew Jeppe Blak, Niels Gramkov, Thomas Hartvig, Henning Lambertsen
7. Karol Jablonski/POL, Toscana Challenge 5-6, $6,080.00 Crew Tom Baranowski, Piotr Przybylski, Markus Wieser, Jacek Wysocki
8. Jesper Bank/DEN 5-9, $4,729.00 Crew Thomas Jacobsen, Time Nielsen, Morten Halkier, Henrik Blakskjaer
9. Mattias Rahm/SWE, Team Stena Bulk 6-4, $1,891.00 Crew Johan Barne, Nikas Carlzon, Claes Dahlberg, Pontus Meijer
=. Gavin Brady/NZL, BMW Oracle Racing 5-5, $1,891.00 Crew Dirk de Ridder, Ross Halcrow, John Kostecki, Brad Webb
= Peter Holmberg/ISV, Team Alinghi 5-5, $1,891.00 Crew Richard Bouzaid, Lorenzo Mazza, Will McCarthy, Dean Phipps
= Bjorn Hansen/SWE 4-5, $1,891.00 Crew Mattias Bredin, Fredrik Ekman, Gustav Kampolm, Anders Jönsson
= Luc Pillot/FRA 2-7, $1,891.00 Crew Gilles Andre, Fabrice Blondel, Erik Ferran, Frédéric Guilmin
= Johnie Berntsson/SWE 2-7, $1,891.00 Crew Henrik Hansson, Nils Bjerleas, Martin Berntsson, Robert Skarp
15. Staffan Lindberg/FIN 1-6 Crew Johan Karlsson, Daniel Mattsson, Johan Mossberg, Daniel Wallberg
= Michael Dunstan/AUS, OzBoyz Challenge 0-7 Crew Glen Atrill, Wade Morgan, Ben Morrison, Nick Partridge
Past Champions 2003 — Chris Law/NZL (defeated Karol Jablonski/POL, 3-2) 2002 — Dean Barker/NZL (defeated Russell Coutts/NZL, 3-0) 2001 — Russell Coutts/NZL (defeated Luc Pillot/FRA, 3-1) 2000 — Dean Barker/NZL (defeated Bertrand Pacé/FRA, 3-2)
Summary Attracting an estimated 150,000 spectators annually, the Swedish Match Cup is one of the largest sporting events in Sweden. The rush of spectators and sailing fans turns the picturesque island of Marstrand, a summer vacation paradise for Swedes, into a bustling community rife with different nationalities and accents.
The Swedish Match Cup holds added significance each year because it is the final stop on the Swedish Match Tour. It is the last stop for skippers to try and improve their standing to ensure a more valuable end-of-year bonus. Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker won the Swedish Match Cup in 2000, which helped solidify his second place overall on the Tour and $35,000.
The 2005 Swedish Match Cup will be the 12th annual.
www.swedishmatchtour.com Prize Money Distribution 1st — SEK 280,000 (approx. $37,400) 2nd — SEK 142,000 (approx. $18,900) 3rd — SEK 87,000 (approx. $11,600) 4th — SEK 69,000 (approx. $9,200) 5th — SEK 57,000 (approx. $7,600) 6th — SEK 50,000 (approx. $6,680) 7th — SEK 45,000 (approx. $6,000) 8th — SEK 35,000 (approx. $4,670) 9th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850) 10th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850) 11th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850) 12th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850) 13th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850) 14th — SEK 14,000 (approx. $1,850)