2010-2011 was the first season of the Kendall Cup series for NZ Techno sailors. We indicated that we hoped to learn from the first season and make improvements where possible. We received some helpful feedback about the running of some of the events, and the difficulty of new sailors being pushed up into the next age division for the spring regattas.
by Stuart Pedersen
Taking those comments into account and after careful discussion, the Techno Association committee has now made the following changes to the Kendall Cup for 2011-2012:
1. There will be six regattas with one drop, down from seven regattas last season.
This will make travelling less onerous for Techno families, support more weekend Techno racing at local clubs, and allow us to focus on ensuring the Techno races at remaining Kendall Cup regattas are well run.
2. There will be a 30 June cut-off for the Techno age divisions for Kendall Cup regattas.
A sailor’s age division for the full Kendall Cup series will be based on their age as at the following 30 June (previously the following 31 December). So a sailor aged 14 on 30 June 2012 will sail in the Under 15s for the 2011-2012 Kendall Cup series. A sailor aged 16 on 30 June 2012 will sail in the under 17s for the 2011-2012 Kendall Cup Series.
This will avoid the problem of some 13 year olds having to sail in the 7.8 division in the spring Kendall Cup regattas, and will increase the eligible numbers in the under 15 divisions.
Other regattas such as the Nationals will continue to be governed by the (31 December) international age rules.
3. The Kendall Cup regattas for 2011-2012 will be:
• Winter Champs, Murrays Bay, 14-16 October 2011,
• Sir Peter Blake, Torbay, 3-4 December 2011,
• North Island Champs, Tauranga, 21-22 January 2012,
• Junior Sail Auckland, Kohimarama, 11-12 February 2012
• Auckland Champs, Howick, 3-4 March 2012
• Techno Autumn Camp, Tauranga, 21-22 April 2012 (tbc)
We are confident that these changes are for the better and hope that they will meet with broad approval. There are a number of new Techno sailors coming through and we are looking forward to seeing you all on the water in October! http://techno.windsurfingnz.org/
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
11:00 AM Fri 2 Sep 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.