Verve Cup Regatta is being held at Chicago Yacht Club from August 18th to 21st 2011. Today on the water the changing winds, rain and thunderstorms led to a significant postponement, with two circles completing one race each and Circle C completing no races.
by Rachelle Treiber
Circle A: Day two started with the intention to begin the long distance race on time, but concerns about rapidly deteriorating conditions caused the RC to postpone the race and send boats to harbor. The postponement was lowered at 1200 and a warning for the first distance sections was flown at 1325 with a very light to building SE breeze. That SE breeze continued to build despite expectations of a northerly wind accompany the pass of a cold front. Race three finally started around 1415 in the five to seven knot SE breeze. As the race progressed, the wind veered to the south and lightened up, causing the RC to shorten leg three and set new marks to square the course. The wind, however, did not stop veering or lightening up and by leg four the wind had finally gone to the predicted NE quadrant and increased in pressure to allow all boats to finish within their time limits.
Circle B: With Day two’s shifty breezes, every leg of the course was changed on Circle B. One race was completed with three legs on a shortened course, which finished at windward mark. All boats were under spinnaker at that point. We are hoping to get in a couple of good races tomorrow with sunny skies and breezier conditions expected.
Circle C: No races were completed in Circle C today. Sailing in Chicago’s front yard – Lake Michigan – it was a typical day of dealing with the wind, which couldn’t decide what it wanted to do. Circle C had a perfect start for the first race at 10 am, until the sky grew ominously black from the NW. All racing was abandoned as we made a hasty retreat to shore. Our fun afternoon consisted of sitting on the course in the rain; followed by wind that moved each time we attempted three more starts, all of which had to be abandoned due to such drastic wind shifts. The 'weather guru' Chris Bedford of Sailing Weather Services told us in the morning that weather would be perfect for racing and enjoying the Air & Water Show, and he was correct.
The current standings and results are available online
Bedford told racers that weather conditions expected for tomorrow include sunny skies and better wind conditions. Verve cup Regatta website
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
7:14 AM Sun 21 Aug 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.