Windsurfing has launched its campaign to retain two sets of medals - men and women - in the Olympic sailing events ISAF will select to take part in the 2016 Olympic Sailing Regatta in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
More than 60 submissions have been received by ISAF in relation to the slate for 2016.
The windsurfing community have therefore decided to set up a Facebook page to demonstrate the support there is in favor of retaining exclusive medals for the windsurfing men's event and the women's event.
This has received more than 300 'likes' in less than 48 hours :) Here's a quick overview of why windsurfing is a key part in the Olympic Sailing Family:
1. Windsurfing is the biggest sailing discipline on the planet
2. Windsurfing attracts spectators and the media
3. Windsurfing offers the least expensive route into the Olympic Regatta for small and emerging sailing nations
4. Windsurfing is safe and easy to learn and offers little risk to other water users
5. Windsurfing is a beach lifestyle sport, which appeals to the Facebook generation not the Flintstones generation
6. Windsurfing has a broadcast TV audience in more than 150 countries, and an internet audience in 169 countries
7. Windsurfing offers an evolution not a revolution using the most tightly controlled one design equipment
8. Windsurfing has a well established development pathway that is growing strongly
9. Windsurf racing takes place in the same wind speeds as other Olympic Sailing Events
10. In the last 7 Olympiads, medals were won by windsurfing athletes from 5 continents
Visit the Facebook link and 'like' the page to demonstrate your support. Facebook