Barcelona World Race skippers Kito de Pavant and Seb Audigane on Groupe Bel, at 1640hrs UTC this evening informed their technical team about an unusual noise from the keel. Initial examination revealed abnormal movement in the head of the keel. Any further diagnosis was impossible due to 25 knots of NW’ly wind and big following seas.
by Barcelona World Race
Groupe Bel was approximately 280 miles west of Cape Horn at 2100hrs UTC with the crew remaining on course and focused on the getting out of the Pacific, carefully monitoring the evolution of the weather and sea conditions.
Race Direction of the Barcelona World Race watch the progress of Groupe Bel and have been in regular contact with the French duo, and they have alerted the MRCC Chile as a security precaution.
Fully ballasted with two reefs in the main and the small ORC headsail, Groupe Bel progresses towards Cape Horn which they are expected in around 24 hours time. The duo will carry out a more detailed evaluation of the problem when they are in the lee of the land, in flatter water.
Groupe Bel lies in sixth position in the Barcelona World Race after 66 days since leaving Barcelona. The two co-skippers have significantly reduced their speed to preserve the safety of the boat and themselves.
'To make a round the world race under sail is not an exercise to be taken lightly.' They said before leaving, and their parting words remain true today.
1. Virbac-Paprec - Dick & Peyron
2. MAPFRE - Martínez & Fernández
3. Renault Z.E. Sailing Team - Rivero & Piris
4. Neutrogena - Herrmann & Breymaier
5. Groupe Bel - De Pavant & Audigane
6. Mirabaud - Wavre & Paret
7. Estrella Damm Sailing Team - Pella & Ribes
8. Hugo Boss - Verbraak & Meiklejohn
9. GAES Centros Auditivos - Caffari & Corbella
10. Fòrum Marítim Català - Marín & Aglaor
11. Central Lechera Asturiana - Merediz & Palacio
12. We Are Water - Mumbrú & Sanmartí
RTD : Président - 12.01.2011, Foncia - 26.01.2011 www.barcelonaworldrace.org
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
8:22 AM Tue 8 Mar 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.