Sail-World.com : Hong Kong Nations' Cup - 20 April 2011
Hong Kong Nations' Cup - 20 April 2011
The inaugural Hong Kong Nations' Cup race will be held on Sunday 10 April, out of the RHKYC in Causeway Bay. Any boat can enter, under the latest Round The Island handicaps: that's anything from a Laser, through J/80s and Hobies, up to Jelik (76’). The unique feature of this race is that everybody on board any one boat must be of the same nationality - born, passport, fluent, see below for definition of criteria. Are you up for this chance to claim the waters of Hong Kong for your country?
You don't have to be a member of the RHKYC - or any club in HK for that matter. Heck, you don't even have to live here - fly in Ben Ainslie if you want!
There is no restriction on the number of boats that can enter for a country - so if for example there are 15 boats representing Hong Kong, so much the better.
A big fun day out, not too serious (see criteria!)... There will be fabulous opportunities for song, costume, and native customs (Guinness, Carlsberg, San Miguel, Jenever, Bundaberg, Cloudy Bay, Mouton-Rothschild, Cuckoo Clocks, etc).
It's the day after the HKRNVR, on a simple course from Kellett out through the east end of the Harbour and back in, with the turning mark being set depending on the weather. Might be TCS4, might be Shek O Rock, might be Beaufort!
Prizes include the winning nation's flag being placed behind the bar until the race the following year, and of course the status of Champion Sailing Nation Of The Year.
We will appreciate your support to get this new event - which we believe is uniquely possible in Hong Kong, celebrating our great diversity - off to a great start. Forward this to your countrymen. Full contact details on www.rhkyc.org.hk Thos who indicate interest will be added to the website link, which will help you get more countrymen to join you.
1. 100% of crew members must be nationals of the country which is represented by the boat they are racing on.
2. During his/her lifetime, a sailor may only ever represent one country in the Race.
3. All applications or disputes relating to the determination of the country which a sailor may represent in the Race shall be resolved very quickly by a committee of at least 2 people who are either members of Sail Com or are Flag Officers of the RHKYC.
4. A sailor who can qualify as a national of two or more countries at the same time may represent either one of them, as he/she may elect. But that choice is final (see 2, above)
A sailor qualifies as a national of a country if ANY of the following apply:
• The sailor was born in that country
• The sailor holds a valid passport of that country
• The sailor has the right of abode in that country (for clarity, HK requires a Permanent HKID Card)
• The sailor has been normally resident in that country for at least 10 years at some stage in their life (for clarity, the 10 years need not be continuous)
• The sailor has represented that country at a major international event, for example the Olympics, the Rugby World Cup, the United Nations, or the Miss Universe pageant
• The sailor fluently speaks the language of that country
• The sailor can sing the national anthem of that country (in the native tongue)
by RHKYC Media
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
7:57 AM Mon 28 Feb 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
Our Advertisers are committed to our sport, please support them!
This site and its contents are © Copyright TetraMedia Pty. Ltd and/or the original author, photographer etc. All Rights Reserved.
Photographs are copyright by law. If you wish to use or buy a photograph you must contact the photographer directly (there is a hyperlink in most cases to their website, or do a Google search.) with your request.
Please do not contact
as we cannot give permission for use of other photographer’s images.
Only if the photographer named on the image is Sail-world.com, Powerboat-world.com, Marinebusiness-world.com or NZBoating-World.com.
Ph: +61 2 8006 1873
or complete our
[ Banner Advertising Specification
[Bot Archive ]
Customised news feeds -Marine Industry companies, Clubs and Associations have their own customised version of our news feed on their website.