Variety Splash - Four days out from the start of Variety Splash, Variety Ambassador and 3AW radio presenter Mike Brady has pulled together two celebrity names for his inaugural ‘Splash’.
by Portia Dixon
Sailing his 32 foot Beneteau Oceanis, Mim, Mike has invited two prominent names to help him in the 3 day rally of Port Phillip that starts this Thursday 24th February. Former Football Champion Peter ‘Spida’ Everitt and TV personality and saxophonist Wilbur Wilde will be sure to provide plenty of man-power to rival the toughest oldest salty sea dogs.
In 2011 Variety Splash will consist of 16 boats and over 200 participants including corporate and private teams, Variety Children and Variety Splash Ambassadors Hawthorn Footballer Brad Sewell, Winners and Losers actor Blair Mc Donough, and Olympic Sailing Gold Medallist Mark Turnbull. Crews will gather for an Opening Function at Maia, Docklands the night before the first breakfast and briefing on Friday morning. From there they’ll set sail and start their motors for the leisurely rally around the bay until Sunday 27th February.
Plenty of activities and games are planned to keep the boats and crew well entertained and overnight stopovers in Queenscliff and Mornington will ensure the fun isn’t just confined to the water!
Event Manager Jav Greaves of New Tack said 'It’s fantastic to see power boaters and sailors overcome their traditional rivalry to participate in Variety Splash in order to support Children with special needs. This is a fourth year running the event, and each year we are overwhelmed with the level of support from corporate and private teams all eager to have some fun on the water.'
In 2011 it is hoped the event will raise approximately $150,000 for Variety. Thursday 24th February:
· Boats berthed at Waterfront City. Docklands
· Official Welcome Function and Auction @ Maia, Docklands @ 6pm Friday 25th February:
· Breakfast @ Waterfront Room at Waterfront Venues
· Depart dock for sail / cruise to Queenscliff – challenges en route
· Dock at Queenscliff for evening of food and entertainment @ 360Q Saturday 26th February:
· Variety presentation of children’s fun boat to Cottage by the Sea (Queenscliff) @ 360
· Depart dock for sail / cruise to Mornington - challenges en route
· Dock at Mornington Yacht Club for evening of food and entertainment Sunday 27th February:
· Depart dock sail / cruise to Sandringham – challenges en route
· Dock at Sandringham Yacht Club for lunch to conclude Variety Splash 2011 http://www.varietysplash.org.au/
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
6:59 AM Mon 21 Feb 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.