The America's Cup world series concluded yesterday in Naples after nine successful World Series events, the revolutionary concept has changed the landscape of sailing.
Nowhere has this circuit's successful concept of stadium racing been more evident than in Naples, with close to one million spectators out to watch the nine teams battle it out on the Gulf of Naples.
ORACLE Racing – Slingsby, with Australian Tom Slingsby at the helm, dominated the event and swiftly defeated Luna Rossa Swordfish in the match race finals, giving further evidence that the future of sailing truly is in the hands of the young, up and coming sailors.
Going into yesterday’s fleet racing, it could have been anyone’s event, with 40 points up for grabs for the winning team. Competition was intense with lighter air and shifty conditions on Super Sunday.
It was the hometown favourites, Luna Rossa Swordfish, who took the bullet in the fleet racing giving Francesco Bruni’s team the overall win for the fleet racing element of the ACWS Naples. In second place, was ORACLE Racing – Slingsby followed by Luna Rossa Piranha.
Onboard Artemis Racing White, young Swedish helmsman Charlie Ekberg, the newcomer to this ultra-professional fleet, executed an excellent start to plan, but a slow gybe at the first reach mark and a misgauged call on the second upwind meant the team didn’t quite achieve the results they had hoped for. It’s been a steady week of improvement for the team however, despite the overall finish in seventh position. It’s also been a once in a lifetime experience for young Swedish helmsman Charlie Ekberg who has his sights firmly set on the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup in September.
The Artemis Racing team wore black arm bands yesterday, in honour of Swedish America’s Cup and Volvo Ocean Race veteran Magnus Olsson who passed away yesterday and was an inspiration to us all.
The team now returns to San Francisco where training continues for the Louis Vuitton Challenger Selection Series which begins on 4 July.
America's Cup World Series Results
America’s Cup World Series Naples Championship Standings
1. Luna Rossa Swordfish (Francesco Bruni) – 80 points
2. ORACLE TEAM USA (Tom Slingsby) – 80
3. Emirates Team New Zealand (Dean Barker) – 71
4. Luna Rossa Piranha (Chris Draper) – 70
5. J.P. Morgan BAR (Ben Ainslie) – 65
6. Energy Team (Yann Guichard) – 58
7. Artemis Racing White (Charlie Ekberg) – 40
8. HS Racing (R. Hagara/H.S. Steinacher) – 36
9. China Team (Mitch Booth) – 30
America’s Cup World Series Naples Match Racing Championship
1. ORACLE TEAM USA SLINGSBY, 2. Luna Rossa Swordfish, 3. J.P. Morgan BAR, 4. Luna Rossa Piranha, 5. Emirates Team New Zealand, 6. Artemis Racing White, 7. Energy Team, 8. HS Racing, 9. China Team
2012-2013 America's Cup World Series Season Championship
1. ORACLE TEAM USA SPITHILL/SLINGSBY – 245 points
2. Luna Rossa Piranha – 191
3. J.P. Morgan BAR – 181
4. Emirates Team New Zealand – 171
5. Energy Team – 160
6. Artemis Racing White – 160
7. Luna Rossa Swordfish – 151
8. Team Korea – 105
9. ORACLE TEAM USA COUTTS – 98
10. Artemis Racing Red – 90
11. China Team – 73
12. HS Racing – 36
2012-2013 America’s Cup World Series Match Racing Championship
1. ORACLE TEAM USA SPITHILL/SLINGSBY 29 points, 2. Emirates Team New Zealand – 22, 3. Artemis Racing White – 21, 4. ORACLE TEAM USA COUTTS – 16, 5. J.P. Morgan BAR – 15, 6. Energy Team – 15, 7. Luna Rossa Swordfish – 14, 8. Luna Rossa Piranha – 13, 9. Artemis Racing Red – 8, 10. China Team – 5, 11. Team Korea – 5, 12. HS Racing – 3
by Artemis Racing
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
10:01 AM Mon 22 Apr 2013GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.