FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cat Sailing tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Stuart O View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat Sailing tips
    Posted: 22 Jun 11 at 7:29pm
Dump the traveller right off and will depend on the wind direction.

as soon as the crew has the boat under control unclip the mainsheet
stewart smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote stewart smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 12 at 8:03pm
Hi Matt,
My daughter went to Datchet last weekentd for the Spitfire Training. She learnt a great deal in just 2 days even though the wind was light. Note the training is not just for juniors and youth, but open to adults as well. The next Spitfire UKCRA Open training event is at Weymouth on 11/12 Feb and 10/11 March at Pevensey Bay. Contact Nick Henson
Stewart
Stewart Smith
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 18 at 9:14am
One of the most difficult, but apparently simple, aspects of fast multihull sailing is plotting a course to steer downwind. We all know that if we steer around 45° off the dead downwind course we go a lot faster but how far off is a critical decision. To get the best speed it is necessary to do some experimentation in different wind and sea conditions.

If you get hold of a GPS - any basic one will do - set a waypoint a long way off, dead downwind, then read VMG as you steer at various angles off the direct course and see which gives you the best result. 

In my own case, it came out that while I was doing 6 kts through the water downwind and 8 kts 'aiming off', the best vmg was always straight downwind. Don't assume that will be the same for your Tornado, Hobie or whatever. My results are down to my special rig that optimises downwind sailing.
One hull good, two hulls better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123