FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is what you make of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This forum is what you make of it
    Posted: 24 Nov 09 at 11:27pm
Dear all

Forums have good times and bad. A couple months ago, this forum was going through a good time - constructive comment with really good interaction and advice. Right now it is going through a bad time with some forum threads that generally leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Like all the Y&Y team, the reason I work silly hours on this site is because I love sailing. My aim is to provide a place where you can all chat. At times I've been too heavy handed and apologised for that. At times I feel I've been too light handed, but when I get accused of joining China in banning free speech I guess you can see why I might try to leave the forum to find its own level.

Let's hope we can get things back on track. As this thread is titled, this forum is what you make of it - please let's all use it for this purpose and engage in lively debate. Don't get personal, and try to show the good side of our sport and of our own characters.

All the best

Mark
ex laser View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 3:02am
well said !
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 5:51am

Too late for me!

Like you I work silly hours but when the postings keep me awake at night that's just too much.

I'm out of here!

Rodney

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 7:36am

Well said Mark. The forum is self policing to a greater or lesser extent (i.e. unacceptable behaviour is reported and dealt with).

Shame to see you go Rodney.

Let's hope to minority do not spoil it for the majority....

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:19am
Originally posted by rodney

Too late for me!

Like you I work silly hours but when the postings keep me awake at night
that's just too much.

I'm out of here!

Rodney

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:26am
Well, Nice to see 'almost' some humility from GRF! I think 'most' people
posting are pretty balanced and whilst they may express preference that is
not always a bad thing.

I second the review of topics to say one for Dinghy Development of Existing
Classes and one for New Boat News.

There is clearly a lot of interest in the RS100 and D-One and having sailed
them it is justified, so reasonable that there is a thread where people can air
their views and manufacturers (if they dare again) can answer questions.
Whether one is better than the other depends on your viewpoint, where you
sail and what you want from a boat.
giraffe View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote giraffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:30am

This forum has been reduced to rubbish in recent weeks by the lack of insightful contribution.  It is clearly difficult to control contribution but effective moderation is not beyond the wit of man. 

What is sad is that some of the underlying topics are of interest.  However discussion about rig improvements on one design classes is bizarre.  There are two choices in life, one of which is one design.  It really does not matter if it is OD.  The idea is that you build em cheap and stack em high.  I know that the frustration is that no one feels that they are as cheap as they should be and this is because an OD class needs marketing investment. It needs the investment because the boat is inevitably dull and less interesting than its development equivalent.  What happens is they both cost the same but the money goes to different places.

My suggestion is that Dinghy Development was always an incongrous title.  The forum should be split.  Clearly a One Design section is needed and this will hopefully focus people on the fact that OD design does not mean development.

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:34am
The nature of any forum seems to encourage the opinionated ranter in all of us. Please just be calm when responding to posts, and realise that you can just ignore someone if you think they are a complete *$&!^@*.

There is a lot of power in ignoring an annoying comment. Respond to it, and you have fuelled the other person! Deny the comment any attention, and you weaken it...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:38am

Mathew 7:6

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet.

....why does everyone sail on sundays, we should be at Church,,,,,,,aargh...I'm a torn man

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 09 at 10:43am
Originally posted by giraffe

My suggestion is that Dinghy Development was always an incongrous title.  The forum should be split.  Clearly a One Design section is needed and this will hopefully focus people on the fact that OD design does not mean development.

A good idea - I've now moved a few recent discussions to this new area. Looking through the topics I also think there should be a Dinghy Sailing Clothing area - what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>