FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What about the Finn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CCTV View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CCTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about the Finn?
    Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 2:28pm

Hi Folks

I'm looking to buy a singlehander, mainly for fun but also to race in Handicap. I have sailed Lasers and Supernovas, but would rather a sit in boat rather than a sit-on boat. I think the Solo and Finn fit the bill the best. I'ver never sailed either, but the Finn would be the prefered choice judging by it's handicap, and they look like an awesome boat in a breeze. Any feedback from current Finn or ex-Finn sailors would be appreciated.

I know that the Finn is quite a heavy boat but that won't put me off too much

I am 90kg and sail mainly inland,

Thanks

Edited by CCTV
Adam MR 1137 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam MR 1137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 3:06pm
Take a look at an Int OK they are awesome, and you are the perfect weight. I find it both more fun and rewarding than I ever did a laser or solo.
Merlin rocket 1137
OK 2049
Can be seen at WYC
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 3:06pm
Sounds as if you're not far off at all. I find solos a bit cramped (I always end up battering my shins on the centreboard capping. I do like my Finn though. The only issue is expense an availability. It is a big sail, which always has to be borne in mind. I sail mine inland and don't regret buying it for a moment.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 3:33pm
Spend your money on an OK. Much cheaper than a Finn, perfect for your weight and a good international circuit.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam MR 1137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 3:37pm

Exactly what Craiggo said, but I am biased as mentioned above, .

Merlin rocket 1137
OK 2049
Can be seen at WYC
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 4:55am

Fin

120kg hull weight

'nuff said.

Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Ross

Fin

120kg hull weight

What about a Phantom - 1/2 the weight of the finn and not a 'pro' class so more approachable etc.

But the best advice surely is to find what is raced at your local club and get one of those?
CCTV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CCTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 11:30am

Hi All, thanks for all your replies so far, there is a mix of boats at our club, Enterprises, Wayfarers and the Odd laser, I got tired of looking for crew week in week out when I had an Enterprise, so decided to go Single Handed, so will mainly be sailing in Mixed Fleets, the Phantoms' PY will be a little too fast for our Fleet, I'll definitely have a look at the OK, are all the best OK's Timber built or do they come in GRP/FRP.

Also, why are the (decent) 2nd hand Finn's so expensive? Is this the main reason why they are so scarce compared to other classes...

Edited by CCTV
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 12:15pm
One of the differences between SMODs and other One designs is that SMODs tend to be built down to a price, and the other built up to a standard, since the builder who makes the fastest boat will sell more than the one who makes the cheapest. In the case of the Finn, being an Olympic class, the standard is very high indeed, thus so is the price.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam MR 1137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 09 at 12:21pm

Modern OKs are nearly all built in GRP/FRP. My boat is a mid 90's all wood O'Donnel and could be in the middle of the fleet if sailed by a better helm. I am most certainly the limiting factor at the moment and should think I will be for a couple more seasons to come. There is no reason why an older GRP boat with a decent sail and helm could not be mid fleet competitive. The handicap if 1110 so fits in well with the classes being sailed at your club, this is one the reasons I enjoy sailing mine because at my club I have enterprises, laser radials and wayfarers of similar speed to race against. Check out the class website

Link

Merlin rocket 1137
OK 2049
Can be seen at WYC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>