FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Has it all gone too far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
tornado435 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has it all gone too far?
    Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 1:38pm

Glad to see I'm now classed as an olympic aspirant

I just happen to sail an olympic class, there was an event on and I've signed on. In the Tornado class there were maybe half of the fleet who never think they are going to the olympics, it was just a chance to play with the big boys.

I am sure in the 49er class there ware many people in the same boat. They are hard boats to sail but not impossible and the crash and burn does make good telly. anything that creates the opportunity for positive publicity has gotto be good.

Granted I am not going to take my girlfriend out for her first sail in a 49er or my Tornado, but thats what she wants to be doing. She knows she needs to learn to get to the pinnacle

Chris Noble View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 1:40pm
you keep bringing in these lines of i know a guy who knows a great sailor or champion, do you actually wanna give some names and prove its not all hot air
Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Calum_Reid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Calum_Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 1:45pm
ok before i post my proper reply whihc is going to take a while can i first of all point out that if everyone could sail every boat no problem at all then there would be less fun for people who want the adreniline rush and enjoyment that they only get from a challenging and fast boat.

When i get bk into halls i will post my full length proper reply which will be conciderably longer and more concidered but as chris said thanks for a good giggle!

oh and P.S. try reaching a cherub in big waves in 5 or 25 kts is and u will see what challenging is! But my word is it FUN!(the point in our sport)

Edited by Calum_Reid
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by tornado435

Glad to see I'm now classed as an olympic aspirant

I just happen to sail an olympic class, there was an event on and I've signed on. In the Tornado class there were maybe half of the fleet who never think they are going to the olympics, it was just a chance to play with the big boys.

I am sure in the 49er class there ware many people in the same boat. They are hard boats to sail but not impossible and the crash and burn does make good telly. anything that creates the opportunity for positive publicity has gotto be good.

Granted I am not going to take my girlfriend out for her first sail in a 49er or my Tornado, but thats what she wants to be doing. She knows she needs to learn to get to the pinnacle

The Tornado is one of the Uber boats around at the Mo.  If my son or Daughter (5 and 3 at the moment ) decide they want to sail with me, then a T will be on the shopping list at some point. 

Are you bringing the T to Grafham for the open ?  

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:03pm

Sorry Simon,

Will be sailing for gold this weekend, then one more ranker the weekend after Grafham. Was toying with bringing my hurricane to Grafham, but got caught up in Family stuff. still three weekends away in october with weston cat open in november I think I got away lightly

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:04pm
No one is forcing these sailors to sail a 49er are they? Even if they want to get to the Olympics, there are other less radical ways of getting there, so they must be out there because they want to be? I've been racing 30 years in all sorts of boats, including the easier to sail versions of the 49er(Buzz, RS500 type boats) and I'm very impressed by people who can sail the real thing. I just hope that not too many people come in to the sport, learn in a Vision, or something, jump to a 49er, fall in a lot and give up totally! Mind, I think the Darwin awards were invented for just such folk...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:06pm
Just hope not too many people learn in a vision full stop!!!
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:30pm

Div II sailboards died because almost nobody wanted to sail them. By the way I did sail them (briefly) and quite enjoyed them but they were completely overtaken (in all senses) by the funboard revolution.

I don't see how you can equate that to 49ers. It seems unlikely they are about to be eclipsed by something that is both faster and easier to sail.

49ers are boats for the more than averagely athletic, agile and dedicated sailor. So count me out, alas, but when I see one being sailed I am truly impressed. Quite obviously they aren't the boat for everyone but I don't think that means they have gone "too far". They would have gone "too far" if there weren't enough sailors wanting to compete in them. At the moment at least, that isn't the case.

Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:41pm

Graeme - I know you're an old fart, but have you really forgotten that a lot of people want challenging, fast, exciting sport (whether that be on windsurfers or 49ers or skis or in cars etc). If no-one pushed the boundaries, we would still be sailing original windsurfers, you've never have had a Parker or been Div II champion and Robbie would have never sailed sawn off  windsurfer 'short' board.

I agree that some 'developments' are either ridiculous or lead up pointless/blind alleys - Div II, or cutaway leach sails being good examples. But the 49er is different to that. Yes, it's challenging, and it's clearly going to make fools of some very good sailors, but it is at (or near) the pinnacle of the sport and so it should. The very best can sail it in most conditions and just because you saw a few wannabes falling in doesn't make it a poor boat for the Olympics.

Watch Ski Sunday -  a good number of the world class skiers/riders on show fall over and fail to complete the courses. That surely doesn't mean that the courses should be made easier or the equipment slower/safer. And later, when they open the course to the public, many excellent skiers will fall but they'll get up and still have a blast trying to do the same course as the best.

I'd suggest that's what  those you saw falling in were doing at Weymouth.

Edited by Hector
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 06 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Graemef

it has gone too far.

Complete rubbish! There's no such thing as going too far.  If for some stupid reason you're scared of capsizing and getting wet then yes maybe a 49er is a step overboard.  Although if anyones scared of getting wet then clearly sailing itself is a step too far.  People have been capsizing and getting wet for centuries, the only difference is we are now doing it at much higher speeds and people are coming off the water with even BIGGER GRINS on their faces!
Its simple, if you wanna go fast, have fun and more than likely capsize, get a 49er.  If you want to cruise about in perfect safety and maybe have a picnic, get a wayfarer.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>