FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Enterprise age?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enterprise age?
    Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 6:45pm
If you can how about posting a couple of pics of the interior, if not, are there buoyancy tanks or bags, bow tank, transom flaps etc. That should get you a bit closer if you can't find a proper sail number.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by transient

Reasonably sure that number is 1975. Worth checking at the class assoc though. Of course if that number is on the sail it probably does not relate to the hull.
Another vote for 1975. (For the sail number anyway..)

If I can remember correctly I'm pretty sure a couple of guys at my club when I joined in 1975 had just built new Ents, and the sail numbers were 182xx.
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 6:14pm
The original 404s were about 1970/71 and became glass Ents c. 12500
Simon SUGmeister
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 8:50pm
At my first Sailing club, we had Ents ranging from 3433 (home build, but fast) up to 17000's. 
IIRC, the Holt grps were about 14000 sail numbers. Certainly not popular in the early days. 
Remember that the class started in the late 50's or early 60's and were designed for wood construction and home build...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 9:31pm
My old Enterprise, 50** was built in 1960 and measured in 1961 (I probably still have the original certificate which the EA were kind enough to send me when I first joined). E1 and E2 were sailed across the Channel in Jan 1956 as a publicity stunt (I was 2 yrs and 10 months old so forgive me if my memory is a bit vague ;) ) My dad bought 14** and, a year or two later his best mate bought 50** which he gave me in the early '90s after he had given up sailing. I taught my kids to sail in her (with a firefly mainsail and half board) and, some years ago, gave her in turn to a mate who repaired the damage caused by many years in the open and used her for the occasional [potter up and down the Rochdale canal with a vintage SeaBee on the back as rig loads would have seen her off by then.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 10:38pm
I have E12506 in fibreglass. Still gets sailed for fun.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 11:16pm
If I had had the means to keep her dry I'm sure I'd still be sailing 50**........ I fully expect to have another Ent before I eventually hang up my wetsuits......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
RichC69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RichC69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 19 at 9:55am
I appreciate this post is over a year old,  but I too am trying to age an old Enterprise / possibly a 404 that my son and I have recently bought.  It has a makers plate on the transom that has a hull serial number of 1508 / 9.  The rear thwart has 16174 carved into it and one set of sails has number to match this number.  I have been told on another forum that 1508 is too old a number to be a GRP Enterprise,  hence the query regarding it being a 404.  If anyone can shed any light on the age / history of it,  I'd be interested to hear from you.  When I'm next at the club I will take a photo of the makers plaque.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 19 at 10:02am
As far as I know, the Ent and 404 are entirely different shapes, with the Ent being a double chine hull & the 404 a round bilge with an almost vertical stem. Someone told me (over 15 years ago so memory might be flawed) that the 404 was a redecked Lark made by Parkers (the original lark builder and also known for 5o5's back in the day).

From t'interweb: The 404 was an attempt by Mike Lawton of Parker to win the trials for a new youth boat in the mid-80s. It was a shocker, as to make it self-draining cockpit, the cockpit was very shallow and the crew had to crawl across. Also, given that the ideal boat to learn to trapeze off is an easily driven, stable hull, then the Lark isn't the place to start. No surprises that the 405 won the trials (and was then bought by Hobie) and the 404 was more or less still-born.

Edit: from the same forum thread "... prior to the 404 ... there was a 404 made by Holt which was a GRP Enterprise at a time when the Enterprise Association were not interested in such hi-tech developments. That boat was so successful that it did then become the GRP Ent!"

So what differentiates an Ent & a Holt 404? Is it just the construction materials?

Edited by Noah - 02 Apr 19 at 10:06am
Nick
D-Zero 316

SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 19 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Noah

Edit: from the same forum thread "... prior to the 404 ... there was a 404 made by Holt which was a GRP Enterprise at a time when the Enterprise Association were not interested in such hi-tech developments. That boat was so successful that it did then become the GRP Ent!"

So what differentiates an Ent & a Holt 404? Is it just the construction materials?

Going back in time I recall the Holt 404 was the GRP version of the Ent before it was approved to be an Enterprise, c1970 I think. Possible issues because by then the IYRU recognised the Ent as an International Class. Certainly I remember seeing photos of the 404 version competing with Enterprises in the Endeavour Trophy in Y&Y
Simon SUGmeister
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>