FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheating in AC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
pondscum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheating in AC?
    Posted: 01 Sep 13 at 5:26pm
Probably needs a thread - modifications to one design and a potential cover-up

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/Americas-Cup:-Oracle-Team-USA-principals-called-to-Hearing-on-Friday/113783

Rumours on Sailing Anarchy from NZ are sounding pretty serious ..... decision should be announced Tuesday

One possible outcome is that Ben Ainslie might end up helming the boat for the AC match on Saturday

Edited by pondscum - 01 Sep 13 at 5:28pm
pondscum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 13 at 6:18pm
Another article 

'But now strong talk in America's Cup circles suggests that up to six team members may go, including up to four sailors'
JohnJack View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 11:40am
Another AC decided in the courtroom?
This is getting so far removed from real sailing it is becoming a bit of a circus, and a poor one at that.
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 13 at 12:05pm
Whats the betting that if Oracle dont like the Jury's decision then they will take the matter to the US Courts to try and get them to overrule it, this will probably rumble on for the next few months.....
It does look like Ainslie will be OK as he was preparing for London2012 at the time...
The Jurys decision will be quite interesting.
pondscum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 9:24pm
The first 2 races Oracle win will not count (best of 17)
$250K fine (half goes to Bart Simpson's charity)
2 kiwis, an aussie and a dutchman banned from this AC, some referred to their national associations

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 13 at 8:48am
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 13 at 9:06am
So, a different boat, a different race series, yet penalties carry over. If I get black flagged at the Lightning Nationals, will I be forced to count that score at the Minisail Nationals too?

Not a lot of logic to any of this, bar banning the sailors/shore crew who made the changes, assuming they aren't just scapegoats.

I can't see the event being that close - though I have no idea which team will be faster, just seems unlikely that with all the changes and new stuff they will be even - so I doubt the 2 race penalty will have bearing on the end result. Mind, with my track record of prediction, stand by for it being 8 all...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 13 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Rupert

So, a different boat, a different race series, yet penalties carry over. If I get black flagged at the Lightning Nationals, will I be forced to count that score at the Minisail Nationals too?

Not a lot of logic to any of this, bar banning the sailors/shore crew who made the changes, assuming they aren't just scapegoats.

I can't see the event being that close - though I have no idea which team will be faster, just seems unlikely that with all the changes and new stuff they will be even - so I doubt the 2 race penalty will have bearing on the end result. Mind, with my track record of prediction, stand by for it being 8 all...

It's the same event, the AC45 events were a lead up to the main LV and AC finals. They choose to sail these events in different boats, it would be same in match racing, they're in different boats each event but penalties could still carry over.
Needs to sail more...
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 13 at 9:46am
Originally posted by JohnJack

Another AC decided in the courtroom?

No courtroom, it's just a glorified protest committee. Highly unlikely to be decisive either.
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 13 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Rupert

Not a lot of logic to any of this.

There is logic.

Aside from sailing instructions, class rules etc i.e. the standard stuff that all sailing events use, in this AC there is a "protocol" which is a kind of super-notice-of-race which encompasses all of the ACWS, LVC and AC itself.

A year or so ago, there was frustration that Grant Dalton was making comments that weren't positive on the direction the Cup was taking. So a clause (60) was added to the protocol allowing pretty much any possible penalty for statements/actions that act against the reputation of the AC. Aside from rule 69 directed at sailors and shore crew, it is protocol 60 that is being used to penalise Oracle Racing as a team.

I and a good few others take a certain amount of pleasure in the fact that's it is a clause that was meant to stop Grant Dalton making fair comment that has been used against precisely those who wanted the clause inserted in the first place.

Edited by blueboy - 06 Sep 13 at 10:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>