Sail-World.com  Wednesday 26 November 2014

Home Graphical | News Text | Powerboat-World | Video Gallery | Photo Gallery | Cruising | Newsletter Subscription Here | Search Sail-World


sail-world.com -- Mini Transat - Code Orange in place, two scenarios envisaged

Mini Transat - Code Orange in place, two scenarios envisaged    
Thu, 24 Oct 2013

The Mini Transat race organisers have made the decision to change to Code Orange as of Wednesday, October 23 at 18:00. This means that the race can be started on Friday 25 from 06:00. For now the race is still considering two possible assumptions depending on the evolution of the weather.

The Mini Transat is in motion. In agreement with the organisers, Denis Hughes, the Race Director of the Mini, has decided to switch to code orange and call the competitors who had gone home back to Douarnenez . However, the weather situation is relatively complex. The powerful storm system that has been sweeping the Bay of Biscay seems to be evolving with a switch to the north west on Monday that suggests two possible outcomes at the same time.

First scenario : a start on Friday and a stopover in Gijon. Weather files allow a clear opening a window for about 48 hours from Friday. This is enough time to rally the fleet on the northern coast of Spain, but does not allow for a safe crossing of Cape Finisterre. The first leg would be cut into two sections with a fresh start in Gijon on Tuesday 29 October. In this case, it will be a transition to code green tomorrow.

Second scenario: a weather window glimpsed in the forecast for next Monday is confirmed to be large enough to allow a period of three days in which the whole Mini fleet can cross the Bay of Biscay. This solution is obviously easier for the competitors and organisation alike. But confirmation is needed that this weather window will not close as quickly as it has opened. In the case of a start on Monday, the fleet would return to a code red on Thursday.

Denis Hughes, Race Director: 'The situation is moving and could you go into more manageable conditions. Nevertheless, we must explore all opportunities and know the options. That is why we are working on two assumptions. The simplest course would be to send the fleet on a single leg. But today we do not have sufficient clarity about next week to put all our eggs in one basket. That is why we have decided to mobilize the competitors around a possible departure on Friday. If we are certain that the window on Monday is good, then we will leave on Monday. When in doubt, we leave Friday. At least we are making steps forward on the road ... '

Mini Transat website

by Solene Rennuit



Our advertisers are committed to our sport, please support them! (Graphics)
Contact us , ph: +61 2 8006 1873, , fax: +61 2 8076 0459 or complete our feedback form. View our Privacy Policy. Photographs are copyright by law, if you wish to use a photograph from www.sail-world.com, please Contact us. [Go Home(Graphics)]
Make sail-world.com Australia my default page.    Make sail-world.com Cruising International my default page.  Make sail-world.com Cruising Australia my default page.  Make sail-world.com Asia my default page.   Make sail-world.com New Zealand my default page.   Make sail-world.com UK my default page.   Make sail-world.com USA my default page.  


Visit another region : Sail-World Australia    Sail-World Cruising International   Sail-World Cruising Australia   Sail-World Asia   Sail-World New Zealand   Sail-World UK   Sail-World USA