Team WKS (representing Wairoa, Kerikeri and Sandspit Yacht Clubs) won the final of the Open Teams Racing Nationals from Mahurangi College (representing Sandspit Yacht Club) in fine but cold and windy conditions at Bucklands Beach.
WKS took the first race easily, but in the second Mahurangi fought back to level the series with a 1-2-3 win. The third race was close, with Mahurangi displaying the speed and teamwork that have made them medallists in the last six Secondary School Team Sailing Nationals. However in spite of a gear failure disabling their third boat WKS held on to win the race. By then the rising wind was endangering the boats, and sails were reefed to try to complete the best-of-five final. Unfortunately the wind continued to increase, and racing had to be abandoned, leaving WKS ahead with two wins.
The sail off for seventh and eighth place between the two local teams Common Browns and Cul Catts was also incomplete after a gear failure led to the abandonment of the deciding 5th race. On countback the Common Browns retained their seventh placing.
The regatta finished on a high note for the New Zealand Team Racing Association, with President Derry Godbert being made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to yachting. Derry celebrated the announcement in typical fashion for him, by spending a wet cold day as an umpire and member of the race committee. Final Placings from Top Six Knockout competition
1. WKS James Sandall/Harris Bindon, Dylan Wichman/Jay Prestt, Adrian Short/Nicola Paterson WYC/KKYC/SYC
2. Mahurangi David Hazard/Ian Paterson, Callum Jones/Alice Noyer, Grant Hamilton/Paul Hazard SYC
3. Black Sheep AndyMaloney/Oscar Reed, Bradley Farrand/Natasha Sheldon, Reuben Corbett/Rosemary Sim RNZYS
4. O for Awesome Thomas Saunders/Declan Burn, Jamie Dawson/Miki Hogg, Chris Steele/Samantha/Rachel MBYC
5. Silver Sails Stephanie Hazard/Cindy Hamilton, Rachel Basevi/Donna Hamilton, Samantha Osborne/Raynor Smeal RNZYS
6. St Kentigerns Thomas Elmore/Emily Martin, Hamish Chadderton/George Anyon, Andrew Ardern/George Brassell BBYC Full results and photo gallery on www.nzteamracing.com