The wind has again been the protagonist in the Louis Vuitton Cup, four days already having been postponed. Yesterday, with very little wind, the competition began and flights 1 and 2 took place.
Today, due to the instability of the breeze, it was again necessary to postpone the regattas. Luis Doreste, the sports director and strategist of Desafío Español 2007, explained that at 14.30 the strength of the wind increased to 7 knots 'it was possible for us to hoist sails and sail a little bit, but from that point the wind died away until at 16.30 the Regatta Committee decided to postpone the regattas.'
The Spanish team has been training in Valencia for the last three years and have been able to sail practically every day. 'These past few days with very little wind are more complicated as we have to anticipate what may happen and avoid being caught in an area with no wind', added Doreste.
To date, ten flights in Round Robin 1 of the Louis Vuitton Cup should have taken place. The situation has caused the America’s Cup organization to rework the competition’s calendar and instead of Round Robin 1 finishing on Monday 23 April it will now finish on Wednesday 25 April. Consequently, Round Robin 2, which should have finished on 7 May will not finish until 9 May 'although it has still to be decided whether two regattas a day will be disputed in Round Robin 2 or not', explained the Technical-Sports Director of the Spanish syndicate.
The forecast for tomorrow predicts 10-11 knots. Desafío Español 2007 will face Areva in the first flight and Mascalzone in the second one. 'Tomorrow is a very important day for us, as we have to face two of the most difficult rivals, but we hope to beat them both in order to maintain our fourth position', concluded Zulueta.
Team website: www.desafioespanol2007.com