Last week in Venice, Italy, the Melges 20 class assembled on San Giorgio Island for the inaugural Melges 20 European Championship. Twenty-seven boats fought for the title in the Bay of Venice in mostly light winds and very tough sailing conditions. Current, chop, shifty winds and one of the best Melges 20 fleets assembled to-date made for some great racing. The European fleet showed its strength, dominating many of the traveling teams.
American Michael Kiss and his Baccio team sailed a great event placing fourth with their Q™ sails to become the top US team at the regatta. Quantum® sails were on seven of the top ten boats. Congratulations to all and thanks for your support! Special thanks to Vittorio d’Albertas and Andrea Casale from Quantum Italy for all their help and sail support at this regatta.
The European Championship was the culminating event of the 2011 Audi Melges 20 European Sailing Series, which took place in Italy with stops in Napoli, Scarlino, Trieste, Malcesine and Venezia. The fleet numbered 45 and for the second year in a row, Quantum® sails finished on top. Congratulations to Luca Dominici and his Notario Sailing Team on ITA 145 on a great victory and for winning the series title!
Team Notario sailed with a full set of stock, Quantum® Melges 20 class sails including the Fusion M® Technora main, jib and AP-2 Maximus Spinnaker. Quantum® also took third place with owner Dario Levi and his Fremito D’arja sailing team including Quantum Italy’s Andrea Casale. Congratulations to all competitors in this year’s circuit and thanks to Audi and the Melges class for some fantastic racing.
Look for the updated and very fast 2012 Melges 20 Quantum® class sails at the upcoming Gold Cup in Miami, Florida. Contact your Quantum rep to get your sails delivered right to this event.
Click here for info on Quantum Melges 20 sails. 2011 Audi Melges 20 European Championship Top Ten
1. Guido Miani, Audi Fratelli Giacomel; 5-1-4-4-1-3-6-6-1-[DNF] = 31
2. Luca Domenici, Notaro Team; 8-3-13-[OCS]-3-11-11-3-4-2 = 58
3. Giancarlo Capolino, Legionaro; 10--5-9-16-2-8-5-3-1 = 59
4. Michael Kiss, Bacio; 2-11-7-3-5-7-4-8-18- = 65
5. Luca Lalli, B-Lin Sailing; 13-8-2-2-10--5-10-12-6 = 68
6. Fausto Rubbini, Thule; -5-18-22-4-1-14-1-5-3 = 73
7. Francesco Farnetti, Reggini Sailing Team; 3-2-3-12-2-19-1--13-20 = 157
8. Marco Franchini, Mezza Luna; 16-7-12-8-11-5--4-2-15 = 80
9. Dario Levi, Fremito d'Arja; 1-16-8-13--4-16-2-19-8 = 87
10. *Federico Albano, 3Menda; 11--17-1-13-17-3-11-6-14 = 93
* Partial inventory
Full Results here
Quantum Sails http://www.quantumsails.com/