On the 22nd of February at 12.51pm, a shallow earthquake of 6.3 magnitude, rocked Christchurch, New Zealand, leaving the city devastated. With the need to help the many affected by the disaster apparent, the superyacht community in New Zealand rallied.
On Thursday night in Auckland a fundraiser, organized by YachtAid Global and Superyacht Support Ltd saw around $55,000 raised for the cause.
Hosted at HQ Bar in Westhaven, Auckland, the fundraiser event was attended by superyacht crew, owners, industry and guests. The evening began with a Maori blessing followed by a live rendition of the New Zealand national anthem. Chef Hamish Watson of MY Galaxy, who was in Christchurch during the earthquake and who remained there afterwards assisting the Red Cross by helping feed those affected, spoke of his experience. 'It was shocking seeing streets I had driven down the day before just destroyed,' said Watson.
Following the welcome and reminder of the need to dig deep into pockets, a live auction fronted by Peter Montgomery, the voice of sailing in New Zealand, got underway. Montgomery stirred the crowd to bid generously on a number of high-end lots donated by members of the marine industry.
Items up for bid in the auction included;
- $1000 worth of European bed linen, donated by Gilly Baillie of White Linen
- A full page advert in The Crew Report
- Four Nights at the Eden Roc villas in Koh Sumai, Thailand, donated by Charlie Dwyer of Asia Pacific Superyachts.
Special thanks to:
- The band for donating themselves
- S/Y Avalon & S/Y Yanneke Too for their crew donations
- Southern Spars for their donation of approx $5000
- Asia Pacific Superyachts who bid on an auction, paid the money and then donated it back to be re-auctioned raising in total approx. $10,000!!!
- Travel Designers in Parnell for their amazing efforts in the holiday prizes to Fiji & Canada
- Craig Roe from Reid Yacht Services for donating another weekend at a 'kiwi bach' (that’s beach house to you foreigners)
A silent auction also took place during the night, whilst the live auction was followed by music from local blues band Stingray. The generosity of all involved – from those who donated items for auction, to all the bidders, to those who had given up their time to make the event happen – was overwhelming.
Thanks must go to all who attended and took part, but especially to those who organized the event in such a short amount of time. Namely Jeanette Tobin of Superyacht Support Ltd, and Di Dobbs and Dean Morris of Freelance Media.
Thanks also to YachtAid Global and to Peter Montgomery for his time.
'It's pretty amazing and I'm quite blown away with peoples generosity, in New Zealand and overseas. It makes you feel quite proud to be a Kiwi!' said Tobin.
Organisers Dean Morris (left), Jeanette Tobin (Superyacht Support) and Di Dobbs (Freelance Media) at the Superyacht Support Christchurch Earthquake Appeal fundraiser - Ellie Brade - Superyacht Report?nid=80980
Anyone wishing to donate to this very worthwhile cause can still do so online by clicking here?nid=80980
and visiting the YachtAid Global website.