Velux 5 Oceans latest news from Derek Hatfield on Active House, sailing in sprint 2.
by Derek Hatfield
The Southern Ocean is full of extremes and the last twenty four hours proves it in spades. For the past day, all three of us at the front have been heading SE on strong winds with gusts to 30 kts.
Boat speeds have been in the high teens and it has been a neck and neck drag race. About two hours ago I experienced one of the most dramatic transitions in my sailing career. The cloud cover was very low and it was raining; within 2 minutes the wind went from 28 kts to 10 kts and changed directions by 45 degrees. Leaving Active House wallowing in the huge waves undercanvassed. The wind has backed now by a permantent 45 degrees and
within an hour the sun had come out. Such exteame weather changes are both humbling and awe inspiring.
Here's to another year past that hopefully was a good one for each of you. And for 2011, I hope that all of your goals and aspirations come true. Happy New Year to you and your families and friends from Active House and the Spirit of Canada team.
Take Care. Be safe.
Derek Ranking Ranking - Current Sprint
1. Brad Van Liew 3589 NM to finish
2. Derek Hatfield 140 NM distance to leader 3729 NM to finish
3. Zbigniew Gutkowski 152 NM distance to leader 3741 NM to finish
4. Chris Stanmore-Major 803 NM distance to leader 4392 NM to finish
5. Christophe Bullens 3310 NM distance to leader 6898 NM to finish Overall
Skipper Pts 1 2 3 4 5
1. Brad Van Liew 15 15 - - - -
2. Zbigniew Gutkowski 12 12 - - - -
3. Derek Hatfield 10 10 - - - -
4. Chris Stanmore-Major 8 8 - - - -
5. Christophe Bullens 7 7 - - - -
Velux 5 Oceans website click here
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
2:55 AM Sat 1 Jan 2011 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
Click for further information on
MORE STORIES ...
2010-11 Velux 5 Oceans Race
Related News Stories: