British sailors remain in the medal hunt on day three (Friday 29 May) of the latest leg of the ISAF Sailing World Cup in Medemblik, Netherlands, with the men’s single-handed sailors leading the way.
Paul Goodison and Giles Scott top their respective Laser and Finn fleets, but are joined inside the top three spots by Skandia Team GBR teammates Nick Thompson and Ed Wright who made gains in the building breeze on Ijsselmeer on Friday.
Olympic Champion Goodison held on to his lead in the Laser class at this Delta Lloyd Regatta with a consistent 3,3,6 from his three races to keep on track for a second straight World Cup victory, while Nick Thompson recovered from a 13th in his opening race to pick up two firsts and boost himself into third place overall.
In the heavyweight Finn fleet, Palma World Cup gold medallist Giles Scott holds firm at the top of the leaderboard in spite of picking his only double figures result of the regatta so far, but Ed Wright still has his eye on the gold after 4,1 from his races today sees Skandia Team GBR occupy the top two spots in the fleet with two days left to run.
Lucy Macgregor, Annie Lush and Ali Martin sewed up the round-robin stage of the women’s match racing event, emerging as leaders with a 75% win record going into the quarter-finals stage. There they took on the second British boat, helmed by Mary Rook, and booked their berth in Saturday’s semis with a 3-0 victory of their compatriots.
John Pink and Rick Peacock – silver medallists at the Miami and Palma World Cup events – are the leading British crew in a competitive 49er fleet. Three further Skandia Team GBR teams are in the medal race positions, with Paul Campbell James-Mark Asquith in fourth, Stevie Morrison-Ben Rhodes in fifth, and Chris Draper-Peter Greenhalgh sixth.
In the 470 women’s fleet, development squad duo Hannah Mills and Katrina Hughes were quick out of the blocks, making amends for a disqualification in the opening race of the regatta by securing 2,1,6 today to accelerate them up into fifth place. Teammates and overnight leaders Penny Clark and Saskia Clark sustained a hole in their bow after a startline collision in their second of three races on Friday, but fought back in the third race to see them in seventh overall.
Nick Dempsey found good pace on the RS:X windsurfing course today, with a second and a first keeping him in the race for a third straight World Cup medal. He’s fourth overall, just four points off of the top spot, while Nic Asher and Elliot Willis are poised in fifth place going into Saturday’s final day of racing for the 470 men’s fleet.
Megan Pascoe pulled up into third place in the 2.4mR Paralympic class, with Helena Lucas in fourth, Charlotte Dobson is in tenth place in the Laser Radial class and John Gimson-Ed Greig need to improve their standing in the Star class by one place if they’re to make the medal race positions. ISAF Sailing World Cup in Medemblik, Netherlands - Results:
Finn (after 5 races)
1. Giles Scott, GBR (9pts)
2. Ed Wright, GBR (16pts)
3. Zach Railey, USA (16pts)
9. Andrew Mills (25pts)
Laser (after 8 races)
1. Paul Goodison, GBR (18pts)
2. Tonci Stipanovic, CRO (23pts)
3. Nick Thompson (29pts)
470 Men (after 8 races)
1. Lucas Calabrese-Juan de la Fuente, ARG (19pts)
2. Steven le Fevre-Steven Krol, NED (20pts)
3. Sven Coster-Kalle Coster, NED (25pts)
5. Nic Asher-Elliot Willis (13pts)
470 Women (after 6 races)
1. Ai Kondo-Wakako Tabata, JPN (16pts)
2. Tara Pacheco-Berta Betanzos, ESP (18pts)
3. Giulia Conti-Micol Giovanna, ITA (20pts)
5. Hannah Mills-Katrina Hughes (28pts)
7. Penny Clark-Saskia Clark, GBR (33pts)
49er (after 8 races)
1. Morgan Lagraviere-Yann Rocherieux, FRA (39pts)
2. John Pink-Rick Peacock, GBR (43pts)
3. Nathan Outteridge-Iain Jensen, AUS (44pts)
4. Paul Campbell James-Mark Asquith, GBR (45pts)
5. Stevie Morrison-Ben Rhodes (50pts)
6. Chris Draper-Peter Greenhalgh (53pts)
Laser Radial (after 9 races)
1. Alberte hol Lindberg, DEN (57pts)
2. Veronika Fenclova, CZE (66pts)
3. Paige Railey, USA (73pts)
10. Charlotte Dobson (99pts)
12. Andrea Brewster (108pts)
15. Alison Young (145pts)
RS:X Men (after 6 races)
1. Casper Bouman, NED (8pts)
2. Piotr Myszka, POL (10pts)
3. Dorian van Rijsselberge, NED (11pts)
4. Nick Dempsey (12pts)
Women’s Match Racing – Quarter-finals
Lucy Macgregor (GBR) bt Mary Rook (GBR) 3-0
Ulrike Schueman (GER) bt Silke Hahlbrock (GER) 3-1
Anne Helley (FRA) bt Annalies Thies (NED) 3-2
Anne-claire Le Berre (FRA) bt Lucinda Whitty (AUS) 3-0
Star (after 5 races)
1. Robert Scheidt-Bruno Prada, BRA (7pts)
2. Alexander Schlonski-Frithjof Kleen, NED (12pts)
3. Mark Mendelblatt-Mark Strube, GER (13pts)
11. John Gimson-Ed Greig (45pts)
2.4mR (after 6 races)
1.Thierry Schmitter, NED (7 pts)
2. Andre Rademaker, NED (10pts)
3. Megan Pascoe (13pts)
4. Helena Lucas, GBR (16pts)
Racing continues through until Sunday 31 May