Sail-World.com : Barros and Coutts team takes RC 44 Cup event win
Barros and Coutts team takes RC 44 Cup event win
'Team Banco Espirito Santo winners of the Friuli Venezia Giulia RC 44 Cup. Copyright Guilain Grenier - RC 44 Class'
RC44 Class Association ©
With three matches and five fleet regattas sailed in five days, the Friuli Venezia Giulia RC 44 Cup won’t remain in the history books as one of sailing’s greatest moments. Luckily, yesterday’s regattas were great, and such was the atmosphere and the Italian hospitality, turning the event into a great happening despite the absence of wind.
With top four results in all five races (1, 4, 4, 3, 2), Patrick de Barros’ Team Banco Espirito Santo, with Russell Coutts at the tactics, wins the event ahead of Armando Giuliett’s Team Hiroshi - Città di Milano and Chris Bake’s Team Aqua.
The next regatta of the RC 44 Championship Tour 2008 is also the season’s most important regatta: the Gold Cup. The event will take place on December 10-14 in Puerto Calero, on the Canaries Islands, and promises to be intense. Indeed, Banco Espirito Santo and Team Aqua have closed the gap on the Championship Tour leaders, Team Hiroshi – Città di Milano and Ceeref. No doubt the fight for podium positions will be intense, and hopefully with a good breeze!
The RC 44 yachts will sail the Barcolana regatta tomorrow, against 1,500 other yachts. They will then be delivered to Portoroz on Monday, dismantled, stored in their purposely built containers and trucked to Hamburg with the support of DHL before being shipped to the Canaries Islands.
Fleet-race - Final results after five races - (Ranking, name of team, helmsman, results, points)
1) Team Banco Espirito Santo, Patrick de Barros, 1, 4, 4, 3, 2 – 14 points
2) Team Hiroshi – Città di Milano, Armando Giulietti, 3, 5, 1, 1, 7 – 17 points
3) Team Aqua, Chris Bake, 7, 1, 2, 5, 4 – 19 points
4) BMW ORACLE Racing, Peter de Ridder, 2, 6, 8, 8, 1 – 25 points
5) Artemis, Sarah Roberts-Thomson, 4, 2, 7, 6, 6 – 25 points
6) Ceeref, Igor Lah, 5, 7, 9, 2, 3 – 26 points
7) Organika, Maciej Navrocki, 6, 9, 5, 4, 5 – 29 points
8) Cro-A-Sail, Miroslav Reljanovic, 10, 3, 3, 7, 8 – 31 points
9) ITA 7, Peter Heerema, 10, 8, 6, 9, 9 – 42 points
RC 44 Championship Tour 2008 - Fleet-race.
Provisional results after five events - (Ranking, name of team, helmsman, points)
1) Team Hiroshi – Città di Milano, Armando Giulietti, 100 points
2) Team Banco Espirito Santo, Patrick de Barros, 126 points
3) Ceeref, Igor Lah, 136 points
4) Team Aqua, Chris Bake, 150 points
5) Team Sea Dubai, DIMC, 196 points
6) BMW ORACLE Racing, Larry Ellison, 209 points
7) Organika, Maciej Navrocki, 237 points
8) Cro-A-Sail, Miroslav Reljanovic, 241 points
9) Beecom, Isao Mita, 248 points
10) Mascalzone Latino, Vincenzo Onorato, 327 points
11) Artemis, Torbjorn Tornqvist, 330 points
12) Magia, Fabio Apollonio, 351 points
by Bernard Schopfer
Click on the FB Like link to post this story to your FB wall
11:09 PM Sat 11 Oct 2008 GMT
Click here for printer friendly version
Click here to send us feedback or comments about this story.
Click for further information on
MORE STORIES ...
Related News Stories:
Our Advertisers are committed to our sport, please support them!
This site and its contents are © Copyright TetraMedia Pty. Ltd and/or the original author, photographer etc. All Rights Reserved.
Photographs are copyright by law. If you wish to use or buy a photograph you must contact the photographer directly (there is a hyperlink in most cases to their website, or do a Google search.) with your request.
Please do not contact
as we cannot give permission for use of other photographer’s images.
Only if the photographer named on the image is Sail-world.com, Powerboat-world.com, Marinebusiness-world.com or NZBoating-World.com.
Ph: +61 2 8006 1873
or complete our
[ Banner Advertising Specification
[Bot Archive ]
Customised news feeds -Marine Industry companies, Clubs and Associations have their own customised version of our news feed on their website.