Just as they did in Cagliari earlier this month when they won the Audi Region of Sardinia Trophy, Quantum Racing proved the dominant force in Peurto Portals, Mallorca when they added the 14th Breitling Regatta trophy, winning this fourth regatta of the Audi MedCup Circuit 2008.
Terry Hutchinson (USA) and the crew became the first team since 2006 to win back-to-back MedCup regattas when the AP over A flags were finally hoisted this afternoon.
A breeze which was just too light and too unsettled across the race area to allow any competition before the 1600hrs time limit meant Quantum Racing (USA) returned to the dock victorious, winning by 14 points over Alberto Roemmers’ second placed Matador (ARG).
Just as it was the 2007 build Matador’s first podium result of the season so third place here for Jochen Schuemann (GER) and the crew of Platoon Powered by Team Germany, was, like Matador's also their best regatta yet this season.
Quantum Racing arrived in Mallorca with a lead of 6.2 points on the overall Audi MedCup Circuit 2008 standings, and leave the chic, compact marina town having built a cushion of 30 points.
Moving up to second place in the overall standings are the reigning 2007 MedCup Champions Artemis (SWE). Torbjorn Tornqvist’s team which has John Kostecki (USA) calling tactics finished fourth here in Portals.
Consistent Quantum Racing underpinned their winning performance at the 14th Breitling Regatta when they won both sections of the 34 mile coastal race across the Bay of Palma on Thursday, winning one race yesterday and counting five second places from the nine races.
Early in the regatta, the 2006 champions Mean Machine looked like they had bounced back from a maximum points coastal race disqualification in Marseille and were making ready to give Terry Hutchinson and the Quantum Racing Team a run to the finish of the season, but a disastrous Coastal Race when they collected 29 points from a maximum of 30, and then compounded their dismay by adding another 14th on Friday’s first race, leaves Peter de Ridder (NED) and his team with a mountain to climb.
But their travails serve as a salutary reminder of just how competitive this Audi MedCup Circuit fleet is, and the standard simply gets higher with each event. Final Results - 14th Breitling Regatta, Puerto Portals, after nine races
1. Quantum Racing USA (11,2,2,8,2,2,1,1,2,1, 32)
2. Matador ARG (3,1,3, 9, 7, 1,9,9,1,3, 46)
3. Platoon powered by Team Germany GER (7,4,6,7,6,6,2,2,7,5, 52)
4. Artemis SWE (4,11,5,5,10,3,3,3,8,2, 54)
5. Mean Machine MON (1,5,1, 2,1,7,15,14,14,6, 66)
6. Mutua Madrileña ESP (2,12,8, 4,5,5,7,5,10,10, 68)
7. Bribón ESP (5,10,4,1,11,12,12,6,9,4, 74)
8. Audi Q8 ITA (15,7,15,3,8,4,13,10,3,13, 91)
9. Rusal Synergy RUS (12,3,13,13,14,9,5,4,12,7, 92)
10. El Desafio ESP (14,13,14,6,3,14,6,11,4,9, 94) Audi MedCup Circuit 2008 - Standings after 34 races in Alicante, Marseille, Cagliari and Mallorca
1. Quantum Racing USA 161
2. Artemis SWE 191
3. Bribón ESP 209,2
4. Mean Machine MON 224
5. Matador ARG 238
6. Platoon by Team Germany GER 242
7. Mutua Madrileña ESP 268,4
8. El Desafío ESP 301
9. CxG Corporación Caixa Galicia ESP 328,6
10. Audi Q8 ITA 357
Blog of the day: Paolo Bottari (ITA), bowman Mutua Madrileña http://2008.medcup.org/blog/
Racing for the 2008 Audi MedCup Circuit will continue in Carthargena, Spain (25 - 30 August), before closing the season in Portimao, Portugal (15 - 20 September).