World's largest Sailing Ship - Coming Soon
by Sail-World Cruising on 24 Feb 2008
Marjorie Merriweather Post Close Hutton Davies May (started with two surnames, married four times - as you do) is surely smiling in her grave.
Marjorie Meriweather Post - smiling in her grave? .. .
She succeeded once in besting all her competitors by building the largest yacht in the world – larger than JP Morgan's Corsaire, larger than Vanderbilt's Defender, even larger than Walter Gubelman's The Seven Seas – now it seems, she will do it again, at least in name.
Her yacht Hussar V was eventually bought by Sea Cloud Cruises, and renamed Sea Cloud. Under this name, it has been offering a new rich generation the opportunity to sail in her for many years.
But by next year, the company will have completed the world's largest full-rigged three mast sailing ship ever built, and called it – Sea Cloud Hussar! This would no doubt please mightily the haughty New York socialite.
The three-master will be 135 metres long; have a beam over 17 metres wide and a total sail area of approximately 4,000 squares metres distributed over 27 sails.
Up to 136 passengers can be accommodated on board the new ship and will be cared for by 90 crew members. Just like its historic sisters, the Sea Cloud Hussar will be sailed in a traditional manner.
Environment-friendly in Spain:
The new tall ship is being built at the Fac-toria de Naval Marin shipyard near the town of Vigo in Spain. Its propulsion will include environmentally aware propulsion technology.
In addition to the sails, which are the main source of propulsion, the shipping company has selected a particularly environment friendly combined diesel-electric engine.
Facts and Figures of Sea Cloud Hussar:
- Length overall: 135.70 metres
- Deck length: 123.8 metres
- Widest beam: 17.2 metres
- Draught: 5.65 metres
- Main mast height above deck: 48 metres
- Total sail area: 3,975 square metres
- Number of sails: 27
- Passengers: 136; crew max.: 90
- 69 outside cabins, of which 43 deluxe cabins with shower
- 23 junior suites and 3 owners’ suites with veranda and bathroom with bath
- Lido bar and bistro; restaurant; lounge with bar; library; boutique; spa area with sauna
- steam bath and relaxation area, hydro-massage shower, massage and cosmetic treatments
- bathing platform; sun deck; hairdresser, gym; hospital
- Method of propulsion: sails and diesel-electric engine (4,920 kW rated performance)
- Gross cubic dimension: approx. 4,200
For further information visit www.seacloud.com
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/42100