Women’s International Match Racing Series announced
by Liz Baylis, WIMRA on 1 Feb 2013
The Women’s International Match Racing Association has now announced the Women’s International Match Racing Series which will be comprised of five high-level women’s match racing events in 2013. There will be prize money at each event and an overall prize pool of at least US $50,000 for distribution after the finale in Lysekil.
'The women sailors have asked for a long time to have a Series of their own and WIMRA is thrilled to be in a position to work with our international event partner to make this happen', says WIMRA Executive Director and former Match Racing World Champion, Liz Baylis. 'The Weymouth Olympics highlighted the spectacular nature of match racing and the Women’s International Match Racing Series is going to take that to new heights. With events in France, Korea, Denmark, the United States and Sweden, spectators will be able to experience in person the excitement of the top women sailors dueling on the water.'
Events on the 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series:
· Saint Quay Women’s Match Racing – St Quay, France – Elliott 6m - May 15-19.
· Busan Cup International Women's Match - Busan, Korea - K 30 - June 6-9.
· Danish Open Women's Event - Copenhagen, Denmark - J/80 - June 20-23.
· New York Women's Invitational - Oakcliff, New York, USA – SM 40 - July 11-14.
· Lysekil Women's Match - Lysekil, Sweden - DS 37 - August 5-10.
The enthusiasm and excitement about this new development is spread throughout the sailing world:
- 'I think it's a fantastic opportunity for us to continue to improve in this class and I’m sure that the organizers and spectators will experience a great spectacle, good racing and enjoy the match race as it happened at the Olympics.' - Támara Echegoyen (Spain), 2012 Olympic Gold Medallist
- 'All the competitors I have spoken to before and after the Olympics are keen to continue Match Racing and many have scores to settle, so I'm sure the title will be fiercely contested'. - Lucy Macgregor (GBR), Women’s Match Racing World Champion, Olympian
- 'Match racing is an exciting and challenging sailing discipline, and the enthusiasm and expertise within the WIMRA organisation will surely result in a competitive and captivating series.' - Adrienne Greenwood, International Sailing Federation (ISAF) Vice President
- 'We are honored to be hosting the New York Women’s Invitational, the only US stop on the WIMR Series for 2013. Oakcliff Sailing is looking forward to the best women sailors in the world coming to Oyster Bay, New York.' - Bill Simon, Race Program Director, Oakcliff Sailing Center
- 'The establishment of the Women’s International Match Racing Series is a perfect continuation and complement to the excitement and interest that was generated by the women’s match racing at the 2012 Olympics. With the talent and fiercely competitive personalities of each of the women’s teams which will be competing, the tension will be electric and every match will be ‘all on’!' - Henry L. Menin, Immediate past Chairman of the ISAF Match Racing Committee
- 'Women's Match Racing has taken a great step forward with the introduction of a professional series this year. Match racing is uniquely suited to spectating with its ‘Tennis Ladder’ format and head to head competition. I am sure this will be a very exciting series.' - Paul Cayard, CEO of Artemis Racing, Challenger for the America’s Cup
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/106152